Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Did my best to skirt the center of the Universe... Toronto!

Yes... it's true.  Driving in crazy heavy traffic at the best of times is NOT on my Top Ten Favorite things to do.

Doing it in crappy rainy/snowing weather doesn't help, and doing it while towing a trailer, well... let's just say, fogetaboudit.

Set the alarm for this morning,
6:30AM.

Course to my body and tired out brain, that's 4:30 Calgary time.



Didn't need the alarm, was up after only a few hours of fleeting sleep punctuated by incredible vivid dreams.

I dreamt about Einstein (the cat not the scientist) Phoenix, Willy...

I dreamt about women that have been in my  life.

Mostly I dreamt about the road in front of me.  Even while sleeping, I can't escape the monotony of driving for days and days on end!



When I finally hit Route 15, I felt better.  The sun poked it's nose out for about 90 minutes, just long enough to improve my spirits greatly.

Like I say, days of driving in dreary weather conditions, don't do much for my mood.

I passed many ski hills, Mt Tremblant, Mont Blanc, Mont Black and Blue...

Montrealers have a short drive to some great backcountry.



Brenda did a fine job setting me up with an alternate route around Montreal.  I paid little attention to Lori (my GPS girl) she is obviously not up to date on the myriad of construction projects we have encountered, even though I plugged her in prior to departure.

At Trois Rivieres, I crossed the St. Lawrence river, the second last bridge available.  The last is at Quebec City.





Filling up on the Autoroute 40, I got a huge shock... highest price yet on this trip and ever in North America.

$1.50.9 per wee little liter of regular. 

Now we all know how much a liter is, but for my American friends, your gallon is made up of 3.85 liters.

A liter is barely a large coffee cup of fuel.  It will get my Blazer about 6 miles/ 9 km.






After traveling 1124 kilometers today, and through some sh___y driving conditions, I had hoped beyond hope to make it to Edmunston N.B. for the night.

Well I fell 30 km short!

Once south on route 85, I hit darkness, wet pavement, and blinding snow in my headlights.

Seeing as I drove the final 20 km not seeing anything... I discreetly chose to get the hell of the highway at Degelis, Province of Quebec.

Tomorrow... I have but 700 kilometers to drive.  How many times I have been on this stretch of roadway in my 10 years living and running my motorcycle shops in the Maritimes, I cannot even guess.

In fact I am so tired, I am not sure how to spell even my last name...

No comments:

Post a Comment