Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Can you Dig it?

ONCE we had the sticks in the ground,well thru the snow cover at least, it wasn't long before the dozer was there and the dig had begun.

I'VE never had a new house, in fact I haven't had much new anything...

SEEING a house started from scratch that had been sitting in my noggin for 30 odd years, promised to be a totally new adventure for me.





BY the end of day Tuesday, the dirt had been pushed round, and the foundation trench dug.

BEFORE the sun set Wednesday, concrete had been poured for the footings and the forms set in place for the actual foundation to be built for Thursday.

IT'S pretty amazing to see the speed at which the house was being built, well at least this early stage.




WORKING with a small crew of people Stephen and his boys were so focused I was half expecting to move in by the weekend!

ONE of the concrete truck drivers was commenting on what a gorgeous place is was to build a home, and how dry the soil was compared to some of the places he'd been into with his rig in the last week or so, having to be towed out with two cats at one location.




EVERY day I try and go out at least once, do the 30km trek from Bedeque to Spring Valley.  I can't tell you what pride I take in making this step.  It truly is a dream coming true before my eyes.

BRENDA and Anna do not get to experience these early stages seeing a property go from bare hayfield to a home being started.

EVERY night I send off new photos to share the excitement.




THERE was lots for me to do, dealing with the suppliers, getting the electrician sorted, looking for building permits, talking to countless people that remember me from my 10 years on the Island.

THIS will be quite the change but in my latter years I am looking forward to cutting the grass, puttering around on the dirt/trail bikes, exploring some of the Maritimes with the girls and having a place my daughters could feel at home when they visit.




TODAY I am planning on taking a drive out, unloading my DT 50 and taking a spin on the back-roads around our new 'hood.'


JUST to get reacquainted with riding on the Island.

THE sun is out although it is quite chilly.  By Tuesday it's expected to be up to 20C.






A flock of geese passed by overhead, heading west, not sure what that means.  The sky was  so bright even in my sunglasses I was squinting.

MY life has been so full of experiences, I can't imagine not continuing on that vein.  Around every corner, even the one where County Line Road intersects the Irishtown road, there is a new one taking shape just one kilometer up!






THE girls will like it here.  Peace and quiet.  Room for a dog to run, a convenient little hillside for a winter toboggan ride, and friendly people about.

DISTANCES are short, shopping is nearby, and although not cheap, fuel costs are at least lower than in most of Canada.

I'M looking forward to not only the next 6 months but the next 30 years!



No comments:

Post a Comment