Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 2, 2012

D.I.D.S.

Ah yes... DIDS at 20.
LEAVING Brandon in the rain was not a whole lot of fun.  I filled at the Petro Can across the highway, the price keeps going North!

After a very long 12 hour, 1200km day yesterday, I wasn't sure I could keep up the pace.  I knew that once into Ontario, the Trans Canada splits into several different routes and all are pretty much two lanes.

Speaking of our National highway, it's deplorable!


TRAVELING the US Interstates which are themselves deteriorating badly with all the heavy traffic, is still desirable to the TCH number 1.

Pot holes that could swallow my Blazer and trailer whole, cracks in the pavement more hideous than any plumbers, inconsistent patches, faded lines, you name it.  Of course that's not even saying that it isn't even four lane nearly across this great country of ours.



IF the feds bought just two fewer F 35's... maybe they could finish the damned thing properly, representative of a National highway system!

I mean level railway crossings and traffic lights?  Really, what' up with that?!!

Once into Ontario things improved quality wise but it's only two lanes.




Lake country.
AS I passed Pinegrove rest area, I had a flashback to 37 years before. I was then 20, riding my BMW 600 across the country, having a break when I spot a van back into a compact car, crushing the driver's door.  A young woman moving from Vancouver back to her parent's place in Toronto (yes people did that in those days) had to crawl over stuff in the passenger seat to get out.  Surveying the rather extensive damage, 5 Hare Krishna's jump out of the van and surround her chanting, offering flowers and harassing her as if it was open season on tourists at LAX!


BEING the knight in shining armor I have always been, I offer her some assistance, shielding her from these yokels.  They did not want to give up their insurance information, but after one or two other individuals came by, some standing in front of their van as they tried to drive off, we finally succeeded in getting the information which was promptly turned over to the park rangers at Falcon Lake.




YOU see, I have Damsels In Distress Syndrome.  I can't help myself.  What sets us men apart from the simple cads that will help a woman, as long as there is something in it for themselves, we sacrifice.  Even if the fair maiden (and she was nearly Swedish, she was so fair!) offered, we must decline.

As Robert Johnston wrote in his book, "WE" those of us afflicted with D.I.D.S.* must be noble and chivalrous to the bitter end!



ANYWAY, I digress... a cold wet day but the lower speeds helped improve my fuel mileage, and none too soon as filling in Thunder Bay, cost me $134.9 per liter!  Seventy three dollars! Yikes I say again.

Ontario is truly 'Lake country' I swear, if they had as much tar-sands as they have muskeg, they'd be rich beyond belief!





The TCH, slow from 110kph to a red light?
THERE  was no way I was going to do 1200 k today.  Besides the fact I'm tired... speeding as much as 50 kph over the posted limit of 90 max... may net you 'up to" ten thousand dollars in fines and jail time!!!

They take this speeding thing seriously here in the province.  Signs at regular intervals state the dollar amounts for the overages.  It ain't cheap!




Staff Sergeant Bullwinkle!
AS you can see from the final pic... those Mounties or in this case, the O.P.P don't take kindly to tourists flaunting the law.

Tomorrow is an udder day, still a long friggin' way to drive.  For this, my 11th road trip X Canada, it sure brings back memories of the very first. 

A "lone Wolf" on a BMW... still the same today, just driving a Chevy.



BTW About 30 minutes back I come around a corner in the twilight to see an actual Canis Lupus loping down the center line.  I slowed and even as I passed him by, he veered only slightly, while giving me a steady stare.  About 30" at the shoulders, gray black and fit.

*This isn't a real affliction, I just made it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment