Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 31, 2014

R.I.P.

                                       March 31, 2010

One of his favorite poses.


Hard to believe four years have past since my best buddy died.  If you're not a cat (or pet) person, this won't mean a thing to you, but if you are, you will be able to relate.

I've had cats pretty much my whole life and there are three living in this household even now.

Einstein came to us as an abandoned kitten.  It was pretty obvious that someone had left him behind at the large apartment complex I rented in Fort Mac after Holly and I moved back to Alberta in 1991.  Then as today, the population of that northern boom town was quite transient.  Probably someone thought him cute as kittens are wont to be, and brought him home for a child.  Maybe they lost their job or found other accommodations but whatever the case this little guy got left behind.

He was desperately nervous, shy with strangers and skittish especially in his younger years.  I think he was traumatized by his early life, he may have been abused, he was certainly neglected.  He never really warmed up to people except in his latter years and typically only if I was around.  He seemed happiest on my lap or in my arms or anywhere close by where he could touch me with a paw or whiskers or tail.

I didn't want another cat having left two to friends and family before leaving PEI, but he was just so desperate and having been (some may say still) and underdog myself, I felt sorry for him and took him in.

He fathered 6 kittens, five of which were given away, while he, Snoopy (the Mom) and Scribble (daughter) came to live with us in Calgary.

Scribbles first, followed by Snoopy succumbed to failing kidneys in '03 and '05, while the cat that wasn't supposed to live beyond a few years (feline epilepsy) was my constant companion for almost twenty years.

We had our differences, especially when he would come to me and scratch my furniture right before my eyes, there were times I'd lose my temper with him, but when all was said and done, he was my very best friend ever.

When the end was coming, as he lost first his appetite and then desire to drink, I reflected on how much this little furry creature had meant to me.  He saw me through some very difficult times, listening to me, not judging, purring contentedly on my lap, helping with my homework.  He saw the end of my marriage, the various relationships over the years, the travels, the financial hardships, the moves...

Through it all, Einstein was my 'rock'.  Never faltering in his devotion and friendship towards my kids and me especially.

There is not a day goes by that I don't miss that little cat, not a day goes by I don't think of him and thank the Universe (and my niece Maggie) for bringing him into my life.




Happy here in my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment