Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 17, 2014

Old friends...



WE try and walk regularly.  County Line Road, is officially a "Heritage" road here on the Island, named after Prince Edward. 

What that means in translation officially I cannot say, but unofficially, it means this little summer time cut-off to some excellent beaches, is left un-plowed for most of it's 5 km length during the winter.  A couple of hundred yards to the north, sits the home of Ted and Sheila and beyond that, its a pleasant country lane during the summer and a snowmobiling/sledding attraction winter.  If you are reading this blog routinely, you'll know we are far from Spring seasonally if not in days.  The Island is divided into three counties, Prince to the West, Queens in the middle and King county to the East.  Yes... can you tell that Islanders adore royalty?! 

We happen to live on the fringe of Queen's and Prince but officially we are PC residents.  It gets more confusing from there.  Technically across the road it's another county but more than that, our 'street' address places us in Kensington's rural mail route but if we need a fire truck or ambulance, we are in Spring Valley.  Conversely across the 'road' it's Irishtown.  Nothing complicated on this Island of 140,000 people!


Saturday we attended a pot luck at the new S.V. community center, which by road is about 7 km from here but if I rode the Polaris Indy Lite to the SW... it's about 1.5km distant.  See, on the fringe of both Prince County and also Spring Valley, but also Irishtown.

During the snow free months, we explore the little trails up in the woods, but winter finds us on the plowed portion, during our exercises.  It's 1.3km (.8M) to route 101 (Irishtown road) From there we can walk in several directions and distances. 

A couple of days ago with a wicked slicing wind coming from the Northwest, we stuck to the tree line and did that 6 times, about 2 miles (3.2km)


Yesterday, the three of us headed into Summerside and after dropping Anna at a friends for an overnight visit (YAYYY!) the two of us parked at the rather remarkable C.U.P.  Credit Union Place is a modern, large and seemingly out of place for such a small town, err... city, as SS, recreational facility.  Two rinks, a huge pool complex, fitness center, a Pita place and a bowling alley that regularly hosts not only sporting events, but big name acts. I can name drop just a few for you; Reba has been here, as has Sting, Sir Elton John and Bryan Adams to name a few.

Above the ice surface, ringing the bleachers, there is an indoor walking/jogging track.  Four circuits equals one kilometer around the outside perimeter.  The few times we have used it, there is always room and little traffic.  We walked a total of 31 laps yesterday.  That's 7.5 km, a pretty good workout on a cold winter day.  If you use your imagination, as I do... I am walking on the moon, or in the wilds of Baja, or New York city.  It's not hard to transport yourself to something more exciting that a simple walking track.

After our trek, we stay for a coffee and snack in the spacious entrance foyer and while my partner was off adjusting her hair, I took a moment to call an old friend who works at the facility.

Mike DesRoche was an Motorcycle Instructor of mine and a buddy and general hanger abouter in the old days.  He worked at a local pizza shop back in the day and was a great help to me during the dark days when my marriage imploded.  It was Mike that got me out and about, trying to keep my spirits up (sometimes with spirits!) when everything I had worked for was crashing down around me.  Marital problems can be death to a business and my beloved Freedom Cycle was another casualty of the break up.

As I am listening to the answering message on his line, I am thinking back to 25 years ago, when that was all happening.  I wasn't in a good place then.  I leave a typical message; "Hey MD, it's FS.  I'm in town at the CUP after a jaunt around the track, ring me back when you get this and next time we can plan on meeting..."

I put the phone away and see Brenda approaching, looking ravishing after her 5 mile walk, and who do I see in my line of sight, but Mike hisself.

We have a short chat, vowing to get together next time during a time when he is off and do some yakking catching up on events. 

I have traveled over 30 countries in my lifetime, and have met people from every walk of life, profession and gender.  Some people are there for the proverbial moment, while others last forever.  I especially like the last forever types. 

Friends will attest to my saying often, "no matter the distance involved, or the time traveled... good friends always remain just that."

I've been fortunate to have met many, and I appreciate them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment