Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ahh, yes... scenes of summer...




So... we went to the Island Motorcycle (?) show, held in Charlottetown on the weekend of the 21/22.  Mike (XV 650), his son in law, Trevor (ZX600E) (whom I call Stretch) Nevin (Suzuki C90T) and me (list is too long...) 



First of all, Mike locked me in the car.  I mean it!  I was getting my camera gear together (more on that later) and the merry men went their merry way, locking the car in the process.


I had to send a quick text to have me sprung!



The show...... was more than just ho hum, it was downright boring.  It took Stretch and I about 7 minutes to cover the entire floor.  Missing were any Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Centennial Suzuki from Summerside and their Yamaha store from C'Town.



Last year there were far more vintage/custom/race bikes... this year you could have thrown a blanket over them all.  I had charged my camera batteries all week in anticipation for what was being billed over the radio as an Island motorcycle extravaganza. Complete representation from all the dealers, many customs and vintage bikes, spectacular deal on accessories and tires etc etc, blah blah blah!

When the two bikes most vying for my attention were an overpriced Honda Grom ($3,199!!) and a poorly painted 1970 Trophy 250... you know I was disappointed, as were we all.  Sure, the Island motorcycle market is suffering, feeling the ill affects of our own recession.  (Back in the 80's if we read a headline proclaiming "It's official... Ontario is in recession"  we would joke that must mean the Maritimes is officially in a depression, because we could never climb higher than recession status)

I took a total of 10 photos.  Yup you got it right
T E N!  So much for all that battery charging...



One of the guys quipped that between us, we had almost as many bikes as the show had on display.



Sad... 

I have taken part in or done myself, perhaps a hundred shows in my 23 years in the business.  It's a lot of work and there were times I was ready to quit, but hey... if you're in the biz, ya gotta be there (or be square)

Needless to say, we will not be attending next year, and I heard that from several others.

Annnny waaaaay... on with thoughts of summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment