Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Just another day in the life of Dr. N.

County Line rd looking north at 10 am atop a massive drift


WHAT a beautiful March 27th it is. 

I mean that!

elevation... 9,257 feet


Gorgeous sky blue sky, sun beaming on freshly fallen snow, and ho... what snow!

Looking at my driveway from bedroom window, 8 am


Major blizzard went through last night and did not really calm out till this morning.  Wind up to 110kph on the Island while Cape Breton we hear, had 100MPH winds!  That's 160kph!!!

 
it was "this tall"

I went out with my winter gear on, around 10 am to get to work on the driveway.  I have about 3500 sq ft to clear.  There was a patch in front of my overhead doors that had literally no snow, bare as a new born bum.  From there to the road it got increasingly heavy, drifts were right across, some as high as four feet.

Truly a beautiful day though, not cold... almost bikini weather!
On County Line road itself, which by the way, is NOT plowed at this time, there is a monster drift just outside the entry, that easily measured 7-8 feet in height and about 60 feet in length pretty much right across the road.  Looking the other direction towards Irishtown road, it was obvious that nobody was moving around these parts today.  There is 2-3 feet on level ground and of course anywhere the wind got at it, easily double that.

No use getting the Big Bear out of the garage, this was a job for SuperBlower!!  Well at least my little 24" 208 cc Cub Cadet.



I have lots of patience, and tackling this immense drift, took much of it.  Within minutes I was in again stripping heavy clothing, I went back out with only a sweater well and pants of course.

As high as the bottom floor windows










View from my study!!


Walking behind the blower inside the cab is quite warm from the engine heat.  I even have hand warmers but rarely use them.

It took the better part of three hours but I cleared all but the section right on the roadway.  Once the plow gets thru here, which could be tomorrow, I will have to clear what he pushes back onto my drive.  I don't mind doing it, its good exercise and fresh air.  As long as I am not shivering, I don't mind the snow.

Harder than it looks, she said!

I even had Brenda come down and do a couple of cuts going downhill, which is easier than up.  It's not as good as the tracked blowers I used to sell but gets the job done if I have the time, and I have the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment