Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Touring... is a state of mind!

SO... yes I know, you never begin a sentence with but or so, but... this is my blog and I can do what I want... so...

1973 R60/5


I bought myself a used Yamaha 350 Big Bear recently.  Four wheel drive with a snow plow.  In fact, there were three consecutive snow falls in the week before I was to bring it home.  Since then, nada, nothing, gooseegg!  In fact, it was 6C today! Go figure.







1976 XS 750 triple
A n y w a y... have been thinking of the upcoming spring.  It's been 38 years since I first saw this little Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.  Rode the Beemer across this immense and entertaining country.  Maybe time to do another ride once again.

1990 XT 600


Phoenix is an all day jet ride from the East coast, but I am planning a trip for early April.  Maybe detour to Calgary on the return leg, and ride the Road Star back.

1983 GL 100 Aspencade
 

Although I have been across Canada 12 times by road now, this would only be the second time on a bike.  Things have changed greatly in 4 decades.  In them days it was surprising to see another bike on the road traveling.  Motorcycling was anything BUT main stream back then.  Touring type bikes were few and very far between and riders even more so.

I bought the Beemer because of its reputation as a reliable and comfortable long distance bike and in fact it and the Italian Moto Guzzi, were the only available shaft driven bikes then.

1984 Venture Royale

1978 RD 400E
Today of course all this has changed.  There are many purpose built long distance bikes with shaft drive and of course bikes although not exactly main stream, certainly have become much more popular.  

1986 SRX
Then a guy riding a chopped hawg was most likely to wear colors... today Harleys and their various clones, are ridden by dentists, accountants and even cops off duty!  The "real bikers" are wearing suits and controlling vast illegal enterprises.  Times have changed.


1984 Virago 1100


1981 RD 350 L/C
Just prior to moving I traded my beloved MGB on a Yamaha Roads Star Silverado midnight edition complete with leather bags, 'police style' windshield, alarm system and floor boards.


1978 MGB

The bike is being stored at long time friend Tom's place, waiting for a spring sale.  Maybe I'll detour my planned Phx trip to return through Cowtown and load my duffel bag on the sissy bar and ride the brute back east.




After all... it took me 38 years to finally ride a 600 all over Europe... maybe time to ride the Silverado to the new homestead.



2003 Road Czar 1600

No comments:

Post a Comment