Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chinook?

TEN degrees!

You read that right... several inches of fluff came down over the last 3 days.  For example, yesterday I get up in the morning.  (it's true, even retired I rarely sleep into till 2 pm.) I fired up the blower and with my Yamaha snowmobile duds on, went out to clear the driveway.  That lasted about 3 minutes.  Not the driveway but the gear.  I had to strip several times until I was wearing little more than  my boxers, rubber boots and a T shirt.  Okay... I had pants on, but really, I was 'sweating' buckets.

'Ski-doo-ing'




Don't know what the official high was forecast but my back door thermometer read 10-11C.  That's 50 degrees F.  Practically pool weather! Phoenix wasn't much warmer last month!

The Cub Cadet in 6th gear (shades of RD L/C's) made short work of the driveway, and having time on my hands, I fired the Indy Lite up with a twist of the key... and took Anna girl for her very first ever in her life, snowmobile ride.  We wound our way through the yard before heading up the hill and onto the grain fields beyond.

Few would remember, but our property used to be part of a larger parcel  known as Woodlands Heights campground and (drum role) Ski park!  That's right, the hill to our west was one of PEI's rare ski hills, complete with several runs and rope tows etc.  We bought the campground section and below us was a swimming pool, movie stars (j/k) and campsites.  Very cool.  Our road is the Island's version of magnetic hill.  Oft times we see cars on County Line rd doing their thing.  Of course its no where near as popular as Moncton's World famous Magnetic Hill, but never the less, its almost as entertaining as seeing the Calgary Transit buses on Silver Springs Blvd during a snow storm!

Woodland Heights campground circa 1970's


Yup... pretty darn exciting living out here in the 'country'...

Yesterday's heat wave melted all the recent snowfall and then some.  The fields are bare once again.

Woke up today dreaming I was riding the Cabot Trail.  Now there is a piece of roadway that rivals some of the best anywhere.  I mean really, I've ridden the Angeles Crest highway, the Pacific Coast highway, the Blue Ridge parkway, Sea to Sky, the Alps... the CT although short, is not only exciting but breathtaking as well.

Can't wait to gear up the T Bird this spring and travel the Maritimes once again.  Been a lonnnng time coming.

Cheers f.


No comments:

Post a Comment