Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mr Murphy, strikes again.

Late November

Yeah yeah yeah... for all of you that thought this move to the far east, would result in winter burial of 20 feet worth of snow... for all of you that warned me about getting stuck for days on end, for each of you that remembers only the news clips shown on late night television... for anyone that doubts there is such a thing as "murphy's law", I say.... behold the wonders of nature.

Sure, when I previously lived out here during the 80's, there were indeed winters that buried cars and buildings with snowfall.  I remember clearly walking over top my buried 7' high fence, riding my snowmobile across a car with only the tip of the antenna protruding next to my ski.  When we would see days without being able to leave the driveway.  Moncton dumped on with 65cm one day and another 75 the next.  Enough snowfall to supply several ski hills.  Sure there were winters with little snow, not even enough to shovel.


Late December

Early January
Mid January

Just to prove that I am well acquainted with Murphy, I will try to illustrate how little control we have over such things.

We live in the country.  People would refer to it as an acreage.  I call it "property"  To me an acreage is that new house just down the road.  An acre perhaps, in a square, cut from a surrounding potato field.  Tha's an acreage.  Our place is an elongated, obtuse capital L, with a shallow valley leading down to some dense trees, which is part of a forest of perhaps 200 acres.  Our own place is just shy of 20 such acres, mostly rolling hill, but plenty of nearby tree cover.

In anticipation of living on a country property, I bought a self propelled 2 stage snow blower, picked up a long track Polaris snowmobile, and just recently a Yamaha 4X4 all terrain vehicle with an attached 5' wide snowplow.  I even transported my snow shovels from Calgary.  It began snowing here at our property late in November.  The first few snowfalls were of 6-12" depth, nothing the little blower couldn't handle with a little work.  Once I bought the Indy Lite, it snowed less and melted more.  Since buying the quad... it's only been melting.

Mid January
This morning January 31

As you can see from the photo array, this is what I woke to this morning... 10 degrees C and very little of the white stuff left.  In 24 hrs, pretty much all of it has done a Houdini into the earth!


Is it over?  I doubt it... but just goes to show, you can never be quite sure of what Mother Nature brings to the table...

January 31, 8 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment