Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ever wonder?



I have to admit freely, I like watching television.  History channel, Discovery, Speed  for the Motorcycle racing... I like movies, documentaries, sappy love stories.  Like most men, I dig action adventures. 

Pretty much anything but reality shows like The Apprentice or Bachelor... speaking of 'The Donald' is he really an idiot or is it all for TV?!

TV time to me was always sacred and something to be cherished.  When growing up in Edmonton, Alberta in the sixties, TV was doled out in very small increments.  Saturday nights were reserved for Hockey Night in Canada.  The original 6 teams, now that was real hockey.  Keon and Armstrong, Bobby Hull, Richard and Howe... My Dad watched? it religiously and nothing else was allowed during the broadcast.  Most Saturday's he would fall asleep on the couch, unfiltered Export 'A' hanging from his lips, nothing but ash, but the odd time I would try and change the channel, Pop would invariably wake as if by magic, the ash would fall to his lap, his eyes would stay closed but from his lips, like the voice of God, he would command me to turn it back.

In those days you had to actually get off the couch to turn the knob, anybody remember that.  I was the remote control!

Anyway, since being here this past week in Phoenix, I have watched a fair bit of programming.  Dave was nice enough to arrange a set of magic rabbit ears to capture several channels locally.  Although we do get a fair amount of US programming in Canada, watching the news about Osama Bin Laden and seeing nothing of our National election, was certainly different for me.

What I am trying to say is this... at some point in my 'retirement' I am going to start a grass roots lobby, yes I am.  I have always been a bit of a rebel, sort of anti establishment, and I see no reason to change that.

I will lobby the networks (CBC, CTV, Global, Fox, CBS, CNN, NBC,UPS, CIA, NSA,FBI, etc) to somehow find a way to reduce or altogether do away with that annoying habit of interupting commercials with bits and pieces, fragments really... of sitcoms and movies, and news programs.  There is absolutely nothing worse than being totally engrossed in a stimulating fabric softener or toilet paper or Lipitor commercial, only to have it rudely interupted by a few moments of History channel!  Like I really give a hoot about dinosaurs and how they became extinct 65million years ago... I'd rather find a way to tighten my abs and buns, wouldn't you?

I'd rather watch one continuous commercial advertising Education, Litigation and Medication... something there just doesn't seem enough of.

So... what do you all say.  Together we could make television history...

No comments:

Post a Comment