Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 8, 2013

Visibility?

I noticed leaving Summerside yesterday, Mike had his high beam on.  I don't know if this was deliberate, but I shouted at him during a red light, "I can't make out your turn signals, turn your high beam off!"  On the ride home I noticed several other machines coming toward me and decided to blog about this...

Of course we've had this debate a number of times over the years, more than I care to admit.

The argument goes thus; "I want to be seen... so I ride with my high beam and the multiple spotlights on at all times."  I would never dis-agree with the need for visibility, but I often point out that too much of a good thing can be just as bad.  It's hard enough to pick out a bike coming toward you, speed or distance as a general rule.  Try the pencil test.  Hold the pencil vertical at arms length and you can easily block a M/C coming towards you.  Of course this is only a pencil, not a door post/GPS/cell phone, hamburger in your face etc.  It assumes incorrectly that people are watching out for traffic and for you.  They typically, (drum role here) are not!

When you are running with 200 watts of lights, even in daylight, you are invisible!  Don't laugh. Think about it, car comes towards you at night, high beams shining... you have no idea of his/her speed, distance or whether it's a truck, car or bike.  They don't know if you are a M/C or... car with a headlight out, they can't see your turn signal or hand signal...in short, you are an annoyance or worse, a hazard.

What's the point of having been seen, when you can't actually be seen... ?

3 comments:

  1. You know, I never thought of it like that. You make a good point Frank.
    Being as smart as I am it's hard to remember that the rest of the world is not.
    You see, if I can't judge a vehicle's distance or closing rate, I wait until I can. I do not just pull out and await the consequences as many seem to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey far as I'm concerned, you're way smarter than the average bear, Boo Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't agree with your point, but you make a good one Frank!

    I am much more concerned with the "didn't see him" left turner than I am with someone having to wait a few seconds longer because they didn't know I was turning and they could have went on there way.

    I do notice that most people who personalise their bikes put on some silly small signal lights! It's so important that your lights be seen from the rear that we almost should have two per side back there. The same goes for brake lights. Use them!

    ReplyDelete