Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 15, 2013

Of Mice, and Men!

You know something... I really have not had any significant time off since I officially retired more than 2 years ago.  I mean there were households and houses to deal with, years worth of collectables, junk, reno's, garage sales, not to mention the actually building of the "dream home" Then there was the move itself, driving separate vehicles, arriving to an incomplete home, trying to deal with supposed professionals that weren't very.  Extra costs, headaches galore, not having a Doctor, buying rental properties etc etc blah blah blah. 

I take pride in caring for my vehicles.  I do much of my own work and when the girls and I lived in the same vicinity, I must have done countless oil changes, tires, light bulbs, fix ups and sundry other items.  Same goes for my bikes.  I tackle most anything.

Plumbing, wiring, painting, hauling junk to the dump and much more.  Yes I am bragging a little bit. 

Today, my normally very reliable Chevy Blazer that I ordered from GM in it's final production year, refuses to start.  I mean it starts but stops without revving up.  Then stops altogether, then the instrument panel begins to twitch and then the engine catches but I have no tachometer and many of the warning lights are either blinking or on without provocation.  After an hour in climbing sunshine and the accompanying heat, I gave up, put it aside and we took the Cruiser into town.

Tonight I had another go, same problems as earlier, but at least it was running.  I put my thinking cap on, checked fuses... all good, battery condition and charging output, right on 14.5Volts.  Still no answer.  It wasn't until I wiggled wires under the hood that I found a rather large and very complete, nest made of straw and dry grass, tucked into a corner away from sight.  Soon as I saw this, I knew.  Just knew where the problem lay.  I've come across this several times in the past.  In particular there was a Honda Trail 90 a customer brought in that would not run.  After many hours trying to diagnose the problem I took apart the exhaust system and found a very dense nest.  I've also found them in air boxes, under fuel tanks and tunneled into seats.

The little rascal had, over time, chewed through the protective covering and then succeeded in working his/her way through a half dozen wires. Now they couldn't be out in the open or on a harness that had plenty of slack... nope, they had to be under a corner and with little room to work.

I had to shake my head.  This little timid creature had been hard at work, most likely for some time, to do this much damage. 

It took the better part of the evening in 30 degree heat, to splice most of the wires together.  I say most because there were two brown/white striped that I could not find a proper connecton for and ended up running out of daylight.  Searched the internet but as often happens, too much information, too many wild goose chases.

A 4000 lb vehicle and a 150 lb man... defeated by a two ounce mouse... and we think we rule the planet!


No comments:

Post a Comment