Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Karma on the Apache Trail


Finally, heading there.  The Superstitions!


East on Olive. 
East on Cactus.
East On the vaunted Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd.



Famous name.
 I was finally on my way east to the Superstition Mountains.  Since reading Frank Connor's in the early US motorcycle magazines... I have dreamed of riding these mysterious mountains.

The Lost Dutchman gold mine is believed to be in these hills, and of course it was a favorite haunt of the feared Apache natives of the region.  Today, I was hoping to keep whatever hair I still have, attached firmly to my scalp.




Salt river project.

 It took 32 miles from my home in Glendale to clear the city.  Once on highway 87, traffic became light and I rolled along at 50-55 mph on the divided blacktop. 

The air was cool and as I rose higher into the mountains, almost chilly.  Signs warned of 'ice on roadway'

At one point I pulled off, to put on the only sweater I brought along, hoping to take the chill away.


On two of the long climbs, the engine began misfiring, the jetting problem obviously exasperated by the altitude and the relentless uphill grind.  At one point I downshifted to 5th gear, helping somewhat with the situation although reducing my  road speed to 45.

It's something I will have to solve if I plan on any longer distance riding, like to Mexico!


Just before reaching Payson, I turned off onto State highway 188.   This would take me to the Teddy Roosevelt Lake recreation area.

The weather immediately warmed, and traffic became more motorcycle, and trucks pulling trailers with an assortment of boats.  Pontoon party craft, aluminum fishing boats, cruisers and high speed ski boats. 

Several points allowed access to good quality gravel roads that rose higher into the mountains or down the slopes into shaded canyons.

I pulled off to explore several of these routes, stopping for a bite to eat from my pack and some water to keep my body hydrated as the air temperature climbed.


Hands up!  You durn cactus!!
  I love being out here, sitting on a stone fence, having a sandwich or candy bar, feeling the warmth, hearing the silence, the sun welcoming me like a long lost friend...


Finishing the last of my PB&J, I whet my whistle, cap the bottle and take a walk down the slope.

The variety of plants especially cacti, is simply astonishing.  Most of the vegetation you will see in these parts is of the look but don't touch variety.

They have spines, spikes, needles, and barbs to fend off unwanted attention,  kinda like a porcupine.


Hmmm... that reminds me of my marriage

 
Course that's another story...

I came across a river bed that eventually carried a shallow stream as we closed the distance to Roosevelt Lake.  It was rare to see water, especially this year.



I spent an hour wandering around roadbeds that were alternately hard packed gravel, loose sand, or boulders.

Several routes ended in closed gates. 

Once back on pavement I passed a number of groups riding Harley's (the bike of choice around here) a gaggle of sports bikes but hardly an Dualies.  Odd I thought, with all the trails I was finding.

Just inside the entrance to the Roosevelt recreations area but still many miles short of the village of Roosevelt itself, I did come across a Kawa KLR 650... and it was a good thing I did...



DO NOT STEP!


No comments:

Post a Comment