Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 12, 2011

DUAL PURPOSE


After several days of attending to the usual "arrival chores"... turning the power and water back on, getting the bikes geared up to ride, buying groceries, checking mail etc.  I was planning on what type of rides I wanted to do this time around.



The XT 350 was not yet familiar to me in the sense that anytime you buy a used bike, you have to get comfortable with it, know it's idiosyncrasies, any inherent weakness' and strong points etc.  Fortunately for me, having spent so much of my life around bikes and of course the business of bikes, I am experienced with a great many models.


Having made some modification to the dualie since January, when I bought the bike from an air force pilot, I was beginning to have more faith in it.  There was still a mid range hesitation and some low speed stumbles that occasionally caused the engine to cease it's internal combustion, sometimes at awkward moments, like in traffic. 


Not having an electric leg as such moments can make things a little, let's just say, interesting.  The bike is fairly tall and I have to get a leg up so to speak, to restart it.  Fortunately, is has a kick started linked decompressor that makes it nearly effortless.  Unfortunately it usual coughs and stalls just as the light is changing to green, go figure...


Having had all manner of bikes over my riding career, I have seen the benefits of Dual purpose motorcycles long before most people even glanced at them.  Growing up on two cycle engines in various race bikes, street bikes and trials bikes, the benefits of four cycle engines have taken over the market.  For a rider like me, relying on longer range for places like Baja California, a thumper is pretty much the only show in town worth having.  Short range strokers would leave me high and dry without a tanker truck nearby!


The weather was looking good after 2 days of rainfall and high winds/low temps.  It was predicted to be in the mid 70's and sunny.  Even before leaving as the bike warmed, so did I.  My fleece went into my knapsack before my butt hit the saddle.


Once on the road, I found the clothing I was wearing quite comfortable, a little cool but certainly not cold.  We headed out north on 59th to Happy Valley Rd, passing Thunderbird Park on the way out.  Fond memories of hiking there last winter with first Cindy and Liz and then Brenda and Anna.


Eighty third took me eventually to the Lake Pleasant parkway, and north out of town.  My route today would be mostly pavement but if any interesting side roads beckoned, I was willing and eager.

After all, that's why the smartest motorcyclist's keep at least one Dual Purpose motorbike in the stable... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment