Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 31, 2011

It's a Zoo out there...


I love going to the zoo, any zoo really.  Been to Toronto, Budapest, last year in Phoenix and just last week, the Calgary zoo too.


Then there was that year I rode my Beemer to Vancouver and ended up at Oil Can Harry's... now that was a zoo!


It was a fine Saturday afternoon, temperature was right around 10C, calm.  Little traffic and most of it was about waist height so I had no problem seeing over them.  Always a bonus.


I remember my first visits to the Calgary zoo when the Brontosaurus was fairly new.  The cages were typical of their day, small and cramped.


Nice to see that these days there is plenty of open air and at least an attempt at creating space.  I'm of mixed emotions really, after all these are captive animals, many of which are threatened in the wild.


The prehistoric park was a let-down, I'm glad I have seen it in better days.  A shortage of water in the Bow left many of the ponds and exhibits high and dry.


There were few butterflies in the house but what we saw were quite spectacular.


The King of beasts was actively pacing his  enclosure, and the Serow looked at me with a rather bored expression.


Nevertheless, it was a great day with fabulous companionship, and pleasant weather.


This will likely be the last of many visits for me to the Calgary Zoo!  I suspect that the spring will be rather hectic with travelling to the east coast for the early supervision of the construction of my/our long awaited eco home.


Then the whole process of getting my long time house here in the NW prepped for sale, that will be sad I'm certain.


But unlike the Tiger... we are free to go where we please... and I am doing just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment