Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Has this ever happened to you?


I often get asked why I would do something as stupid as riding in the back country of Baja, or the Mojave desert.  It's true, this type of motorcycle activity can be hazardous to one's health, downright dangerous even.  It's hard to come up with an answer for that or even argue with the logic behind it.

On the other hand, take today as an example.  It's a beautiful day, sun is high in the sky, few clouds simply for contrast.  I'm riding towards downtown Calgary on Crowchild Trail, from my home in Silver Springs.  It's Tuesday mid morning, rush hour traffic is gone and just a few scattered vehicles. 

CT is predominately a three lane major N/S, E/W corridor.  One of Calgary's better known roads.  Apart from the three lanes all cross traffic is routed via overpasses.  Further, the C-Train dual track runs down the center of Crowchild with strong concrete protective barriers lining the route. 

As they have been doing for several weeks now, weekday traffic is reduced from three to two lanes for a short stretch, for work crews making repairs or alterations to the C-train facilities.  The posted speed of 80kph (50mph for my American friends) reduces to 50kph (30mph) for a few hundred meters (yards).  The speed reduction is in place to protect workers and road users alike.  Never know when  a cherry picker or dump truck noses into the traffic lane.  There are signs on both sides of the road for a fair distance warning of the speed reduction as well as orange pylons and barrels.  To top it off, there is a large flashing arrow mounted high up off the ground visible for about a km to city bound travellers.  Suffice to say that, this is not a situation where a tree jumps you from behind a car...

ZO... as I have done dozens of times in recent weeks, I begin to slow down when the first 50kph sign is reached.  By the time I have come to the 2nd speed sign, I am riding/driving at around 50.  Yes, typically cars travel at well above the posted limit of 80 kph, and yes many times even though you are in the reduced speed zone, some asshol_ will speed by on the left lane, squeezing in... forcing other cars to slow or move over.

Today after about a 1/4 M at the reduced speed with the work vehicles and crew to my left, I notice a dark colored RAM truck smokin' towards my tail.  I immediately veer to the left within the protective barrel barrier, just as tires squeal!

This lunatic was no doubt well over the 80k speed limit, and for whatever reason (texting/yakking/eating/drinking/adjusting the 6CD changer/putting on make-up, reading email/picking her nose/adjusting his boys/etc etc etc ad nauseum) he/she somehow failed to take notice of the mile and a half of posting, the dozens of bright orange barriers, the flashing work vehicle lights and the 12' overhead flashing arrow... and nearly rear ended me. 

About 10m later while still on the Trail, still in the center lane, back to three flowing lanes, I notice traffic jamming up in the right hand lane and as my speed is now higher than the right lane, I move slightly left and sure enough, a vehicle jumps lanes and pretty near takes me out.  I am certain the driver reacted to the suddenly slowing traffic and simply "changed lanes."  Without looking of course... where is the 12 second rule here?  This guy like many drivers pay little attention to anything around them much less something 12 seconds down the road.  Like the RAM "Charger" truck!

What's the point here?

During my 18 years as a Chief Instructor for the Canada Safety Council Motorcycle Training program, I greeted every new class with these little tidbits of advice;

Ride like you're invisible, your life depends on it.

There are only two types of motorcyclist, those that have fallen down, and those that are gonna!

And lastly, sometimes, a lot of times, you will have to yield your right of way. Better that than telling St Pete (cuz you know you're going to heaven) that you were dead right!

Be safe, happy travels, and keep the rubber side down my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment