Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

BAJA, on 49cc a day!


Morning in BAJA, CA.

    


     Was just thinking back to the various times I have ridden down Mexico way.


     I think I've been to Baja now about a dozen times.



first look at Bahia Conception.

    



     Oddly enough, I have never even been to mainland  Mexico.


    

    

 


Tranquility base!

    
     My early fascination with the peninsula began reading  exploits of the desert racers that once were very popular  in places like the Mojave, and throughout the Mexican outback.



      Growing up during the 60's, and riding my Suzuki A100 street scrambler (anyone remember those) in the vacant lots around my home in Edmonton, I pretended to be A.C. Bakken, Malcom Smith, Mitch Mayes, Rolf Tibblin, Larry Roeseler... or a score of others. 



sister towns across the mountains

university student mountain art, on the way to Loreto

    
      


     It wasn't till the winter of 1998 that I made my first foray into what has become, one of my favorite places to visit.

    




That year, then partner Deb and I rode identical XT600's from Phoenix AZ all the way to Cabo San Lucas... and back via Los Angeles.  I often wondered what was more dangerous... Baja or L.A.

         I still own that XT 600 and would love to re trace that '98 route at some point before I get too old and decrepit!



     As I wrote in Canadian Biker in April 2005...


"Baja is, mesmerizing and addictive... fascinating and unforgiving... dangerous and tranquil..." 

    






      That riding there required above all...

"better than average off road skills, good mechanical comprehension... and most of all, a 35 litre tank of common sense under your helmet..."


always looking for shade in the 105F heat.

    



     That holds true today as it did then.  I've ridden Baja on many different motorcycles. 


    







view of the Cortez (Gulf of California)



     There was the XT 600 of course, the 225 Serow has made several trips, the DR 650 of Lanties, and of course Holly and the very old TS250 Suzuki two stroke... 


beautiful beach... all to yourself.  Conception Bay

      I even made a foray into some of the most incredible and difficult terrain on my trusty 1989 Yamaha DT 50 L/C in the fall of 2006.


     This tiny little Yamaha is the only motorcycle that survived my marital break-up and subsequent demise of Freedom Cycle, my long time maritime MC biz.
does this not look like a prehistoric creature turned to stone?
      That year, Elsie...

(LC for liquid cooled) on the custom made rear rack, Walden Kayak mounted on the roof rack, and my gear stowed in the rear compartment of my Chevy Blazer which itself has seen Baja 3 times over the years... we spent the better part of a month puttering around the trails, roads and mountains above the Cortez.
      As I'm often told by riders, who somehow missed or can't remember the joys of riding something smaller than 2000 cubic centimetres...

"why would you do this?"

Ummm... "Because I can..."

Baja bound!  Catavina Baja Sur

     That trip was one of my best simply because I could literally lift the diminutive bike over rocks and obstacles, and like I keep saying to people, speed is of little importance in Baja CA. (unless you are running the Mille!)

     What counts out there is reliability, fuel mileage and being little helps when the inevitable comes across your path. 

     After all Senor Murphy, frequents Baja at least as often as I...

No comments:

Post a Comment