Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 19, 2011

Go Your Own Way...


2002 L/C 885cc Triple

Me and My Beloved B.

Okay the punch line is not particularly original, I used it myself in advertising Freedom Cycle 25 yrs ago, but the show was interesting.




Up before everyone else, (dictated by my alarm clock, one little rascal cat named Phoenix) as dawn unfolds, I sat out in the living room, shivering (it's 6C outside, last nights hail still on the ground).

I watched an hour of Triumph's recent history on Speed channel. Essentially we follow the making of a new Thunderbird from start to finish, listening to engineers, designers, assemblers, testers and the CEO, describe the evolution of the incarnation of John Bloor's vision for the line.



Pretty dang interesting, especially for a guy that has a different T Bird in my garage. When my triple l/c T Bird was built, it was as vastly different from the original that Arthur Fonzerelli rode on Happy Days and Brando on the Wild One, as it is from the new Twin cylinder namesake of today.

The Baja TJ.  DT50, No One's Ark in tow, and shanty atop to escape scorpions and snakes!


We see a ton of 'car shows' but rarely do we see the actual workings of a modern motorcycle factory. No offence to the OCC (Orange County Chopper) guys (well maybe a little) those fad bikes never really interested me, and I can honestly say, with the passing of Indian Larry RIP, most of them died as well with no regrets on my part.


Out of the hundreds of bikes I have owned over the years, my triple version of this classic Triumph, still has a very warm spot in my two wheeled heart, much as my MG does.


I won't be taking the B east, but the Thunderchicken will make the trip.

Sure, I can sell it and pick up any one of a hundred V TWIN cruisers once there... but having the same thing as everyone else does, just doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me.

I tend to 'Go My Own Way'...



Baja California


No comments:

Post a Comment