Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 18, 2019

?


I got a message shortly after I posted previous blog. 

Fully equipped for adventure

YES, this is a Yamaha XT 600 E (for electric) and A (for 1990 model)

This was the only year for this particular model to be sold in Canada.  Many people have never seen one and are very curious when they do.  The USA on the other hand, had them for several years during the '90's and... Europe sold them for many a year.  They were the first 'Tenere' model and came in various guises to mimic the Paris to Dakar factory racers winning several P-D races.

Basically it is an air cooled 4V SOHC* screw type valve adjusters, with a dual carburetor YDIS** intake system.  The one imported to Canada were the final type which Yamaha sold in Canada going back to the mid 70's when they started with the first modern big bore four stroke TT 500.  There had been many changes over the years, formally ending with this one, in '90.  The early models were a pretty good dirt bike but the 90 saw the addition of an Electric leg and the deletion of the kick starter.

Typical trail riding
Lots of people have horror stories about "big singles" breaking legs on kick back, but to be honest, I never had any such instances.  Once turned over from compression, a swift kick would normally do it.  My AZ based XT 350 is a kick start model, but like many four strokes in them days, engines were equipped with either manual or automatic de-compresser, to make it easier.  Even after a years absence, I can normally start my 350 with 2-3 kicks and some times on the first one not counting the real first one that I softly push through to make certain it has not seized.  The key whether your bike is electric or manual starting, is to use stabilizer in the fuel and draining the float bowl, filling it with 'fresh' gas before attempting to still it.

Trevor and I with his kitted older  model veteran KLR somewhere in NB



Anyway getting back to Big Blue... it compares quite well with today's ADV (Adventure Bikes) of today. Interesting to see what the manufactures are building.  Big displacement ADV bikes and small ish) ADV bikes. 

Considering that my XT goes back to 1990, 29 years, and this was just one variation of this model among many Yamaha produced, I can imagine what an update of this type of bike would be like today. I can say this... keep it simple and affordable.

Another one that paid for it's tooling years ago.

Let's speculate shall we.

It's not unusual to sit on a larger displacement ADV with an engine of 1 L or larger, weighing in at 6-700 lbs without rider or passenger.

My kick start only XT 350, with proper gearing is very versatile. Cooler bag, soft saddle bags, these are my small ones. 

My humble XT has proper longer travel (around 9-10") and a relatively light weight (370 claimed lbs from the manual) completely full of fluids and nearly 10" ground clearance with a seat height of 33.7" which is just barely tip toe for moi.  At the rear is a 120/90-17 dual purpose tire while the front is a 90/90-21 on which I have 50/50 tires mounted. (my choice) as this bike has been off road lots in my lifetime.

Never know what you'll come across ADV riding!

The engine produces about 44 BHP give or take and with a 13 L fuel tank and 3.3 L oil in the dry sump oil frame tank, I can get about 230-250 km on the main tank, and around 40-60 km on the reserve.  It's not surprising to return 65-70 miles per CDN gallon. With a total fill-up to reserve time that can exceed several hours, much of which I am riding like an actual 'dirt bike' that's plenty of mileage for me.

For longer rides I use strap on soft bags and some type of tail bag.  I prefer easily and commonly available freezer bags that I can buy at WM cheap and with a couple of frozen bottles to keep my food cool make good sense.

I have a bolt on windshield that is common and cheap.  Takes the pressure on my chests, isn't prone to breaking if I fall over and easily removed if needed.

Aztec ruins... or Mayan? How about New Brunswick!

The 5 speed transmission is a bit of a handicap for longer rides but the 1 tooth over c/s sprocket at least lowers the vibes significantly when riding longer distances on pavement. 5 Gears in those days was common and perfectly acceptable. I typically cruise at about 100-110 kph if I'm faced with longer trips, on freeway type roads.  I prefer the back roads and often I am only traveling at 80 kph or 50 mph where the fuel mileage can occasionally tick near 75 mpg.

Given that the roots of this bike go back nearly 40 years, it works great and has actual highway and gnarly rocky up and down hills or maybe mud holes, capability.

"Really... it was this big!"

Makes me wonder what a modern version would be like.  What it wouldn't be as an overweight, over tall, overpriced pseudo dirt bike like were seeing now.


(even my Suzuki DL 650 when loaded with bags and passenger riding, weighs 600 or more lbs) 



I've traveled Baja in 1998 with my then G/F on an identical bike (wonder if she still has it?) doing much of it off pavement, I've ridden it in the Mohave desert, hauled them from Calgary AB to PEI in 2000 and rode the Cabot Trail among others, and of course the Rocky Mountains of western Canada.

Hopewell Rocks NB

By human standards this XT is about the same "age" as I... and if it keeps up like it has, we will grow into real old timers before it (or I) give it all up and head to that real adventure in the sky, the BIG one!



*single overhead cam
** Yamaha Dual Intake System composed of 1 1/2 carbs!


No comments:

Post a Comment