Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 8, 2014

The Meaning of Life...


THE Doc says tongue in cheek.

It hit me this morning like a sack of PEI potatoes falling on my head, followed by a sack Of Idaho potatoes followed by a sack of Mongolian potatoes...

My whole life has been about two things, learning and leaving things better than I have found them.

Even on my most pessimistic days, I'll give myself a passing grade about the former, let's say 80 %.

For the latter, I'll reserve judgement for a bit.

Mr. Tickles was in the house this morning.  Of course since early in my arrival he's pretty much lived on my patio, sleeping on a padded chair.  Sometimes on his own and sometimes with' Fuzz'.  I don't really know the story on Mr. T. but I have a pretty good visual.  He's a street cat that kind people feed from time to time. Certainly not unusual here, there are many feral kitties roaming around.  Fortunately the weather is mild, in this complex at least, water is never really a problem with the regular watering, and like I say, there are kind people.

As I was looking at him, giving him a little rub behind the ears and under the chin, that's when it hit me... for a little while, a couple of months in human time, that maybe translates to 5 or 10 times that in cat days, he got some food, some warmth and shelter, often spending an hour or two laying beside me while Boo has been out, and he certainly seems in better shape than when I first laid eyes on him.  If nothing else he certainly got my human company, which he seems to crave.  In a few days, it will be back to normal around here and he will be standing at my patio door meowing away until he finally realizes I am no longer here.  This breaks my heart, I'd take in all dogs and cats (chipmunks, racoons, red fox and sparrows with wings to mend) if I could, but having learned, I too am human, life moves on and things change.  Its inevitable.  The only thing constant is change, its been said.



I'm like this with everything I do and touch.  I get a house, I want it to be in better shape than I found it, when I move on.  Ditto for motorbikes, cars,  cats dogs and people too.  As another old saying goes, the only two things guaranteed in life are taxes and death. Nothing lasts forever right...

While I'm on the subject, all my relationships follow this pattern.  I worked hard and still do to instill certain characteristics in my two, now grown daughters.  Independence and a spirit of sponging.  That is, soaking up what is right around them, living life in a positive fashion, making things better by their having passed.

Some wouldn't agree but I would challenge the girlfriends in my life that came and went, and if they are truly honest, they would find that maybe, it was better than not...

Humans I think, are born with a desire to have purpose.  Finding it and chooses to follow it is an individual choice.


I think... that I've been pretty successful
at mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment