Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Re-Cycled


'82 FT 500 Ascot Dirt track replica


It's extremely heartening to see that among motor-heads/gear-heads, there is a tremendous recycling program going on underneath the radar.

To see so many people out there that specialize to some degree in keeping old cars and motorcycles etc functioning makes me smile.  When I smile I feel good!

All of us in biking have our favorites.  Having spent nearly half of my life in the motorcycle industry, I've been very fortunate to see across a wide spectrum the models, manufacturers, and customization that has proliferated in the sport.  In my own career, I saw the tail end of the 'Made in England' era to its resurfacing decades later.  I saw the junk that was AMF Harley Davidson, re emerge into a massive international business powerhouse. I clearly remember the 'old timers' saying "those Japs can't make anything except transistor radios..." or labeling them as "Jap junk"...just the other day I read that Honda has built it's 300 millionth motorcycle!



My '71 CL 350 Scrambler


Seeing old marks resurrected excites me.  Until recently I had two modern John Bloor Triumphs sitting my my own garage and out of my old collection, I still keep a sixties BSA and several older Japanese bikes.

Thunderbolt


I like riding all kinds of motorcycles I have no one favorite although I am asked the questions repeatedly, even today.  I have dirt bikes, a trials bike, dual purpose bikes, standard bikes, several scooters, an ADV bike and even a sled and quad.

We joke sometimes that when Brenda first met me and came to my house, her words were something like "you have more motorcycles than a shop!"

1970 DS6-B (Sold)


Personally I like bikes with character, and if I narrowed that down I prefer standard style motorcycles, air cooled and naked, purposeful and without errr... frills. I especially have a warm place for the Brit singles and twins, old and modern, anything Italian, anything triple.  Japanese two strokes of the 60's and 70's... (I loved the first L/C RD/RZ Yamaha's) and current India Enfields.

Seeing a company like Polaris manufacturing motorcycles under the Indian logo next to Victory's and HD stepping into the mid sized market with something modern, even venerable Guzzi with their re-incarnated V7 Sports pushes my facial buttons.

Friend Chris' slightly customized '89 XV 535 Virago.


This whole "tracker/cafe/bobber" genre that is growing intrigues me, makes me want to build something myself, after all, I began my working life as a Machinist in Ft Mac.

These old four stroke single/ twins and multi's that would otherwise serve as no more than tons of scrap metal, showing up on the net and street as reborn customs in the hands of pros and amateurs both, serves the sport well.


Modern retro style Classic Thunderbird 900

There have been literally millions of bikes manufactured in my riding lifetime that went from back yard/barn/wreckers and now have new life as someone's custom.

I say 'Bravo'

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "recycled... cycles."

Honda CB550F cafe racer
Cafe CB 550 taken from web.

No comments:

Post a Comment