Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 7, 2014

Thanks are in order!





FIRST of all, this week this blog, has crested 30,000 page views.  For something that began at my daughters suggestion while I was touring Europe on a bright red Diversion 600, as a means of getting past the frustrations I was experiencing trying to get photos and a brief blurb of my travels out to friends and relatives on unfamiliar machines, sometimes with keyboards vastly different than the ones we are familiar with, at pubs and hotels, it has become something of an institution for me.

Poppy field on the Island of Elba/Italy


IT seems that when "real" life intrudes, maybe I'm down with the mother of all colds, or there are computer problems or doing renovations takes my spare time, and I don't update often enough, I get emails to my outlook inbox.  "Am I still alive/have I finally been lost for good in the desert/has my sweetie left me/do I need some chicken soup... etc"

ODDLY enough, my goal was never to go "viral" or become the latest U-Tube sensation, only to inform and have a little fun writing doing it.  It's no secret amongst my friends that I wish I could devote more time to actual writing.  For a core of readers that I would estimate around 100+, I have been happy to do this blog and there is no shame on doing what makes one feel happy, right!

Visiting with other architects at Rick Joy's renowned studio/Tuscon


IT'S been a whirlwind week.  Holly and Kevin arrived in Phx last Saturday, we have put many miles on the rental car, been to places that have been of interest to me for many decades, ambled through Hopi ruins, walked under the wings of famous aircraft, enjoyed some night life and generally exhausted Dad.  Right now the youngin's as I refer to them, have changed gears from earlier in the week and are enjoying, hopefully, a Scottsdale spa experience.  They deserve it.  After 4 years of a Master's degree in architecture at Dalhousie University, traveling and living in places like Botswana, China and Germany before returning to a home and careers in Calgary, buying and renovating an income duplex in the city and putting down some roots, they are taking a bit of a break with Dad here at his little condo in Glendale AZ.

FOR myself, no stranger to setting lofty goals, I view it as a must break from the hectic pace of their 30 something lives.  I don't know how Kevin's parents feel about all this but any attempt by myself to point out to my daughters that they are moving at light speed, is quickly hushed by the comment of "where they inherited that!"

Pima Air Museum F 18 Hornet


TODAY I wasted no time in installing the recently ordered headlight assembly into the Honda FT500 Ascot. I'm not sure if there are extra wires in the shell or the shell has shrunk,but somehow the parts never seem to mate just how they are supposed to.  Except for a few tweaks I'm certain will be needed, the bike should now be ride able.  Before I spend more money on her, I want to have an opportunity to test ride it over the next few weeks.  I've explained in earlier blogs the reasons for buying the bike, all good and valid and pointed (plus the fact that riding is what the Dr does) and I am looking forward to my first highway trip on the old bird!

Bike Bandit delivers!


IF all is well, I will buy a new set of skins for next year and eventually, this will be my 'road' bike.  Some may say you need upwards of a single cylinder, 1200 cubic centimeters and 600 plus pork, to travel on paved surfaces, but I know better.  Having ridden small displacement motorcycles countless miles over tremendous variations in terrain and weather, a 375 pound, 497cc four stroke single with a top speed of 93 mph, will do just fine for me.

THE three of us spent last evening having a Golden Corral experience, quite pleasant it was too, where Kevin converted as a follower, we will take the next 48 hours to relax a bit, maybe have a Rolling Rock in the back yard and see them off Sunday morning in the wee hours.

Success! 


NEXT week, it will be all systems normal, back to riding the local area, threading the needle to close a few of those loops I have nearby in the mountains and finishing my next magazine story while working on the future installments.

BE sure to pick up the December Canadian Biker issue at the newsstand if not in your mailbox, for a look at my Mogollon Rim ride from last fall. 




No comments:

Post a Comment