Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dilemmas, as in, on the horns of.

Compromise is a fact of life.  It is unheard of to get a perfect calm.  Take my current situation for example.  Here I am , for my little Phoenix vacation.  A chance to check out from the other life I lead for a moment.

Having moved from Alberta to Prince Edward Island... clear across the country, exasperates my transportation situation here.  Ninety percent of what I do here, groceries, local riding, visiting, riding, shopping for the minimum of consumables I use and riding around the hood, I can accomplish quite well with my scooter and trail bike.



In truth I don't really need anything more than this.  I could ride for years on this annual trip without getting farther than 150 miles radius from my home.

Where my transportation falls short is extended access, carrying something larger than a case of beer and freeway travel.  That wasn't an issue when I drove here from my Calgary home, but has reared its ugly head this time round.  Ideally, I'd get myself a local light pick-up truck or SUV with a carrying rack and just truck my XT farther afield to extend my range.  The problem with that is my lack of a garage and hence, secure storage for said vehicle in the months I am at my other home.  See the dilemma?

I've entertained the thought of buying another bike to leave here under lock and key, a 650 perhaps.  I'd have then a bike capable of travel at the speeds local traffic chooses, which generally is, ahem... somewhat higher that the posted limit.  I thought briefly of a street bike but ruled that out.  I am still far too fond of that dirt road I pass on the highway.  Where does it go, what adventure will I find there, where will it lead me?

In any case, there is again an investment not only in purchase price, but insurance, registration and of course operating costs. 

I'm here for barely another month.  I've found several suitable dual purpose bikes, some more biased to the street, like KLR'S; while others, less dirt friendly than my 350, at least would be passable on routes such as the Castle Hot Springs rd and Apache Trail.

I hope to sort this out in my mind during the coming week and make some type of decision after that.

Wish me luck...



No comments:

Post a Comment