Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Confederation Trail




I Must say, its been a pretty decent summer on the oiland!

After the problems we experienced last year upon our arrival, we tried to make this year, calmer and less stressful.   Ask me at year end to see how things washed out.



Back during my last living foray here, there were still train tracks and even trains.  In the ensuing years, the tracks have been pulled and the rail line altered to trail line.  I hear there are over 400km of the Confederation Trail available for hikers, bikers and in the wintertime, 'bilers.



Although I've been a throttle twister most of my life, there was a time I pedaled too.  From my place on the North side of the Bow river, it was an 18km pedal to downtown Calgary, and another 5 to the zoo.

We brought several bicycles with us.  The other day Brenda and I got a chance to use a little of our afternoon and ride just a short distance of the trail. 

I've been on other disused rail lines, most notably the Kettle Valley in the Okanagan.  One of the advantages of this type of riding is the lack of steep hills.  Unlike cars, the steam trains of the day, didn't like grades, so biking is pretty easy going.

 






Over the coming years, I hope to explore the entire system...

 













No comments:

Post a Comment