Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

TRIPLE Play

Awhile back, I was waxing eloquently about my love affair with triples.  Having some very early experience with the late sixties Triumph Trident and BSA Rocket Three models, ogling their triple pipes exhausting those lovely finned cylinders, then later having my very own Yamaha triples beginning with the '76 XS 750D that replaced my BMW 600.  Still later, I had both an 850 (really 828) Special and a fully dressed 850 G for touring.  Most recently I looked for two years to find a Triumph Thunderbird 900 (885) finally locating a very nice example in Victoria B.C.  That was 2006.  (where does the time go anyway, I seem to be getting older with each triple?)



There is something about three cylinders, more compact than a four, typically more powerful than a twin and smoother to boot, and the sound... really the sound is unique.  I remember the first time I went through the gears on the T Bird.  The exhaust sounded like a fifty calibre machine gun on full auto!



Last fall, I came across yet another triple Triumph here in Charlottetown P.E.I. of all places.  To be truthful, most bikes around here are rather generic.  Lots (and lots) of V Stars/Vulcan/Boulevards/Shadows/Harleys.  I can certainly appreciate these bikes having sold many of them in my shop days, but they leave me rather flat.  Don't get me wrong here, I like riding all bikes, but every second bike I see is, well... virtually the same.  I've never been like everyone else.  Somehow, perhaps because of my early upbringing being a refugee kid from a war ravaged country, that couldn't speak the language of his adopted country till elementary school began, I have always done things differently than my buds or the average "joe".



Even when I was looking for a 'traditional' streetbike, I was not looking for one of the aforementioned models.  The Thunderbird appealed to me because it was modern, liquid cooled, reliable and oil tight, but also because it looked very traditional, like it's namesake, the 650 T-Bird.  Flat broad seat, old style pipes and emblems and of course... the sound was amazing.



Getting back to last fall, I went to look at yet another Bloor Triumph, yes... also three cylinders in a row, but slightly bigger at 955cc and somewhat different looking than the one in my garage.  Unfortunately the builders had left our new home incomplete, after going well over budget and also overtime by nearly double, and that took up a great deal of my time and energy to set things right, as Mike Holmes puts it.  He'd have a field day with the yokels that worked on this house I'm sure.  Winter set in and the other Triumph idea was shelved.

There was plenty to keep me occupied since then but I didn't forget about the 955 in C'Town.

I dug up Johns email address and telephone number and called.  Weeks went by with no answer.  I was pretty sure that he'd sold her.  Finally, out of the blue I get an email via the south of France.  He's over there traipsing around with some friends, checking out escargot in France and paella in Espana.  Yes, he still had the bike and yes he'd be interested in having it co-habit with my other bikes in Spring Valley!



Just last week I did a very quick turnaround trip, with Blazer and trailer, and brought home my new sweetheart.  How do I know she will live up to that name... just check her out.  If you don't think this baby is sexy and sensuous... better stop reading right now.



That makes twin triples in my garage now... any bets on a third?


ps Yamaha is introducing  new triples.  Rumor has it that they will market a whole line of threes in the coming years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment