Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Flying.

I love aircraft almost as much as bikes. 

Any and all types of aircraft.  Vintage, modern, military, commercial, light, xperimental etc.  During my youth, I often bussed, later cycled and still later, rode my S90 or A 100 to the Muni airport in Edmonton, just to stand on the platform and watch the planes come and go.

Over the years, whenever I was able, I'd make a point of spending a lazy day, sipping on a Coke and wandering amongst airplanes.  Of course nowadays, you can't even get close to an airport but back in the sixties, there was no such thing as sabotage or terrorism, or security certainly not as we know it today. 

You could literally walk off the street and stroke and fondle Cessna's, Bell's and Beavers (airplanes!) I once got to ride in a Bell 47, with the glass bubble cockpit!  If you hung out long enough, and polished enough aluminum or perspex... you just never knew.

I wanted so bad in my youth to learn to fly but of course the cost for this Hungarian kid was always out of reach.  I took up flying motorcycles instead.  Raced MX for years, did some trials, ice racing etc.  Hey... it wasn't three dimensional but close.  As time went by I'd go up with friends that flew small planes or  commercial, but mostly, I'd just find museums or gate guardians to hang around.  On my list is the huge Arizona air park outside Tuscon, that I will likely see in the fall.  Like riding, that bug never goes away.

Here's some pics from the years and various locations...

















No comments:

Post a Comment