Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 23, 2013

SATURDAY night.  After a long day. 

We worked on setting the tile for our jet tub in the master bedroom today... yet another job the hired hands failed to complete...

Between that and working on a manual lift for the Big Bear, it was another full day.

The Warn winch and rotary control unit, is really not suited to the job requirement of lifting the plow blade the 6-8 inches from the deck.  The constant wear and tear, not to mention the strain it puts on the rather smallish battery just wasn't acceptable to me.

Back in the day, when I first began using ATV's for snow clearing, plows came with foot or arm lifts, typically a lever contraption that gave you leverage to raise the blade.  They were awkward to use and required muscle, but with the small plows then available, they did the trick.  This big blade mounted on the Yammie, is too heavy to lift with such a device even if it were supplied.

What I did was bought some pulleys, cable and a small capacity boat winch.  A piece of aluminum plate and some angle iron from my neighborhood welding shop, just down the road from me, and voila!  Manual lift mechanism I can operate with 1 hand.  (I'll have photos tomorrow)  Dwight (my new buddy) has a very nice little shop only 2km and 5 minutes by quad.  I can see I'll be spending some time over there... its a guy thing, right!

Anyway, after a decent pizza (you ever notice that frozen za's have improved a great deal from the cardboard paper days of old.)  Even though there is a pizza store in K'Ton... there ain't no use getting pizza's there.  By the time we were in the garage at home, it would be cold.


Once the kid was in bed, I suggested we go for a moonlit walk.  So at 10 pm, with the full moon bright and directly overhead, we walked to Irishtown road and back, a distance of 3km.  Hard to see the constellations on such a bright night but I could faintly make out Orion's belt and the little dipper.  On dark clear nights, there is a spectacular show!

Yup... there is something romantic about walking on a deserted beach with your honey, or a moonlit stroll on snow, glistening winter night...

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment