Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jet Set


Technically, Phoenix is in the same time zone as Calgary, Mountain Standard.  Of course the difference, Calgary celebrates (?) daylight savings time, where Arizonans... don't.  I'd been looking for flight prices throught the winter months but nothing made me jump.  Expedia is always sending emails with the latest and greatest but I wasn't going to Cancun nor do I live in Toronto, The self acknowledged, "Center of the Universe" for many. 

When I got the latest 24 hour sale, I saw and immediately booked a flight for just under 350 CDN dollars a couple of weeks ago.  Because we are in the same time zone (much of the time) it's really a short hop.  With the sale of the business wrapping up all but a few loose ends, I felt confident I would be able to go.

The appointed day, well in actual fact, morning would be more appropriate came, I was up at 3 am showered and waiting for my cab to arrive.  Up is really a misnomer here, as the night before I was still sorting passport, meds, and a few essentials so really didn't get any sleep. 

Waaaay back in '79 I remember vaguely a trip to L.A. for the Yamaha dealer conference, introducing the 1980 models.  I was then living in Fort Mac Murray (or MacHell as Ron calls it) working for John at Four Seasons.  It was half way down to Edmonton to catch the flight, when I realized that I had forgotten every piece of identification right down to my wallet!

I didn't have a single piece of ID, absolutely no money, nothing... I knew there may be a problem and was prepared to send then wife, Beth alone with the gang, to Anaheim, the dealer show and Disneyland.

Upon arrival at the airport with jeers amongst my "friends," that disavowed me totally, I was actually allowed to make the trip.  A few of the group loaned me some money, Beth took up the slack and we got to sit in the Convention center to watch the show.  Imagine my surprise when Broc Glover, Bob Hannah and Rick Burgett, were introduced after winning their respective AMA MX titles, a Yamaha clean sweep, and they stood to wave at the gathered thousands, from directly in front of me!  That was also the year I got to meet a personal hero of mine in the form of one Mr. Kenny Roberts, who had just won yet another World 500 GP title, and the aforementioned MX stars.  To say King Kenny was one of the greatest and most respected riders in history would certainly not be in dispute.

To top it off, Yamaha rented the entire Disneyland theme park, for it's guests the following Tuesday for a reported 1M $$.

Any way, imagine making a trip into the USA today under those same circumstances!  Yeah... right.

It was a breeze getting through to security, having printed my boarding pass the night before and with only a small carry on bag for luggage.  A few minutes wait in line for US customs to open and a 2 hr wait at Gate 22.  Boarding went deliciously well, the plane accelerated as soon as we touched the runway, and 2 1/2 hours later, a whopping 30 minutes ahead of schedule, we were touching down at Sky Harbor International.  When was the last time you can remember a flight even being on time?

Turns out, arriving ahead of time left us parked on the apron for 29 of those minutes waiting for our gate to open.  The plane was stifling at 8 am.  That's right, eight o'clock.  Remember, it's MST not MDT! here in Phx.

What a treat to be in t shirt weather after weeks of snowfalls in Calgary throughout April...

The shuttle was quick, I was the first passenger to be dropped as it turned out, both the driver and parking attendent related to me how verrrry slow the job market had become.  A tale that has often been recounted to me these last couple of years.  How very sad, these are ordinary people that work hard, have families, and were still suffering in their jobs, losing savings and homes, while hundreds of millions of dollars are paid out to the very people that got us into the mess in the first place.  Makes no sense to me.  Where is the justice when business people? (I use the term loosely) and government screw the average citizen and no one is held accountable.  Deplorable...

Once the door was opened, I went about getting MC FOG running, a chore that took longer than I thought, and the XT 350 as well.  The Enduro was due for an emission test before I could renew the plate before May 1st.  With the afternoon temperature hovering upwards of 30C, working outside was a might warm.  I had to get the Adventure scooter running, it was my grocery mule and I needed some.

By 6 pm, both machines were in running order, and I was able to make my way south to buy some grub.  Wearing my backpack, and having the under seat storage and trunk full, and several bags hanging from my left arm, I was set for the evening.  I resorted to counter steering all the way home, in order to balance the drag to the left.  Once it was packed in the fridge and the cupboards weren't quite so bare, I had a chance to visit with NDN Judy and her pooch, Samanda, a take-off of Samantha.  Haven't seen Lisa, yet but I will soon, I have nice neighbours here in Olive Green Villas.




This morning, after a brief MSN conversation with Brenda, who tells me it's snowing large flakes back home in Winterland, I head off to the emissions station up the street on 59th.  Funny, it seems like everything is 'up the street' from me.  Safeway is over there, Walmart there, Lowe's just over there, the Bank around the corner there, and both the DMV and emissions center across 59th, up the street there. I am really very well placed!

I leave early after checking online to see what the status is at the test site, hoping to beat the crowds.  I'm there by 8 30 and sweat it out talking to a transplanted South Dakotan on a 1200 Sporty.  It's plenty hot, and standing in the sun without any shade, is already frying my brains...

Once in for my first ever smog test, I am done in about 60 seconds.  He didn't even ask me to raise the rpm above idle.  Nineteen dollars later, I am heading to the DMV to get my sticker.  Pain in the ass, but really, quite painless. 

The gal (April) at the DMV actually knows where Calgary is, and used to babysit Mario Gosselin's kids!

Anyway, I fill the XT with fresh gas at $3.59 a gallon, the US certainly isn't immune from rising gas prices, and spend the remainder of the afternoon getting my digs sorted once more.  Hopefully in the next few days, I can get the rear sprocket replaced on the bike.  The way it is, the engine is turning too high an RPM for practical highway riding.  Cruising speed at the moment is ltd to about 80kph/50mph.  Okay for zipping about, but impractical for any out of town exploration. 

Now, if I can only get used to the heat while I am here...


No comments:

Post a Comment