Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Has spring actually sprung?

1/2 ton at least of solid 10" of ice on my shed.
   

FIRST of all, let me tell you that Prince Edward Island does indeed  has four seasons, unlike my former home in Calgary.

It's now the 25th of March and yesterday we had cold temperatures, brisk winds and wet snow falling pretty much all day.  Today it was so warm I took my jacket gloves and toque off while I did my walk. Originally I had planned to get out and walk to the Irishtown rd rte 101.  It's good exercise having a surprisingly steady climb and contrary descent. There is still quite a lot of snow which translates into pretty good ATV weather.  Being equipped with a snow plow my Big Bear gets little winter trail use.

 
WILLY waiting for me at the bedroom window.



As I passed Simmonds Road, I got a face full of cool breeze. On the spur of the moment I decided to head to the woods.  An ATV two up went by me earlier while I spoke to my neighbor Ken the mandatory 10 feet or so, and I would have no problem walking in it's tracks.

Ken getting a little exercise during our Corona bug downtime



From there is was totally ad-lib.  I followed their trail marks over hill and dale, walking in perfect weather, taking in the white expanse that would shortly be gone for another summer.


So pretty!


I walked through the woods, bushwhacking where I wanted to check some of the sights, following the tires tracks in and out of the
snow covered farm fields and forests.

I was wearing a light sweater, and gloves... and the aforementioned toque.  As it turns out, it got so warm most of my gear ended up over my shoulder for much of the way.


Th
ere were long elevation changes, some maybe a mile long (1.6km) Things look so different during the November/April I wouldn't have the opportunity to wander cross country once the snow was gone and spring is usually muddy for a month or so.  As usual, some of our snowfall would be several feet deep and today was absolutely perfect to get around in.


Potential virus high overhead



All in all, I had plenty of time to think, and must say I had an absolutely picture perfect day.  By my reckoning using the winter closed portion of County Line road as the bar, my estimate was a round trip of approximately 10+ km plus or minus. Sure it was 4 and a half hours, but I love it.  You don't often get weather that is that generous.

Does it get better than this?


I had thought earlier in the day, of gearing up the Serow 225, but unfortunately is was well buried in the shed behind my XT 600, DT 50, patio table and chairs and my ride on Craftsman lawn mower.

County Line road unused winter portion.





I'll be riding soon enough, have to stay focused and with the Corona Virus take precautions.  Truth is I like to travel by myself in any case and being on foot today, had a bonus I don't often see.







Wow what an impressive Bald Eagle likely from AZ



Several years ago a pair of nesting Bald Eagles  made their home here, and both of them were quite vocal today, with my trespassing on their turf.

Snowmobile trail




HOME SWEET HOME!



No comments:

Post a Comment