Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 4, 2019

Trials and tribulations... or something to that effect.



WOW... I've been riding motorcycles since I was a young lad of 13. 

That's 51 years if my math is reasonably correct.  This by itself is not unusual, many of the old guard have been in the saddle even longer.  What makes my years unique me thinks, is the variety of motorcycles I've ridden.  I've gone from the little bikes of the sixties all the way to the fully loaded purpose built touring bikes of the 80's and 90's.  In between, I've owned or have spent substantial time on virtually all types of riding in between. 

I've been involved with racing on paved tracks, ice and dirt, riding fast and riding slow.  I've traveled by bike when seeing another bike on a highway was a major event.  I first rode across Canada in 1975 the owner of w BMW 600 opposed twin, and since then I've ridden my various dual purpose bikes in Baja CA, the Mojave, the forest roads of British Columbia the Cabot Trail and dozens of other places. 

TY 175 2 Stroke 6 speed 

I've collected motorcycles, worked in the industry including my own shops, taught many new riders via the CSC courses in my past and currently own nearly 20 bikes, a snow mobile and an ATV. 

I've had scooters, old two strokes, big V twins, and a plethora of RD's, GSXR's, CBR's FZR's... singles, twins, triples, fours and even a six (1979 CBX)

When I look backward I just grin and smile while my mind reminisces of days gone by.

Sitting in my attached garage I currently have several machines waiting out the snow season but also houses two vintage trials bikes.  Over the years I've had several of these special and unusual varmints, never for hard core trialing or trail riding but just good old fashioned fun.

TL 125 SOHC 5 speed/Willy infinitely variable trans sleeps most of the day

On any given Sunday/weekend, you might find the Doc riding a Millvale back trail on my XT 225 or maybe cruising across the Island for an ice cream at Victoria by the sea on my SYM 300.  I might also fire up my TTR 125 and do some laps on my .7 km natural grass mini MX track in my front yard.  I may even be sitting on my work stool changing oil on the V Strom or XT 600.


Slim and light


The trials bikes sit patiently, waiting for my attention...

if they could talk they'd be saying; "Wonder if Frank will get around to us this year?" 

They are both 70's Japanese bikes, small in displacement but large in fun.  Of these two I have only ridden the Yamaha, the Honda was part of a trade deal and I simply have had little time to glance at it.  I only have so much time during a typical week.

I'm hoping I'll get to them before spring which by the way is less than 2 months away :)

One of these days... 

When I meet up with riders whether it be on the trail, the road or an Arizona desert... I feel I can relate to virtually all types of riders, men and women. 

Motorcycles have kept me sane when times were tough, relationships gone bad/bust, shortage of money, cloudy futures, often when I was asking myself... "where do I go from here...?"

Many times I did not have an answer but one thing I did have... was a bike to get me there, wherever there was.


Cheers f







No comments:

Post a Comment