Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 31, 2016

That time of year!



YUP... as I have been doing for 2 decades now, each year I prepare a series of goals for myself.

Nothing spectacular really, mostly just things I would like to start/do/or complete.  For example Trevor and I started building my home replica miniature shed last year (2015) and it was on my list to complete this year (2016) Which has now been ticked off my goal sheet.
The Shed


I plan upcoming rides, maybe something like... next year I will do a story of my trip around Bras D'or Lake. Keep my weight to less than 150 lbs, walk/hike more often. 


Maybe get around to restoring one of my old motorbikes.  I usually throw in something that requires some planning and that has an element of adventure/danger to it.  In the past I have ridden Baja California, the Crown King trail from south (uphill) to north and the KVR in British Columbia.  I've even lane split in Hollywood and Athens. 


In 2008 and '09, I rode 22 countries in Europe on a very nice used Diversion 600, over a period of 7 months!


Early '70's TY 175
At the end of the year I take out the filing folder and check off the things I have done, and sit down and do up the following years goals which I can say happily, I did yesterday.  Unfortunately I may have bitten off more than I can chew for 2017, there are some pretty ambitious items on there. No point in giving them away at this point. We shall see how the coming 12 months unfolds.

Generally I manage to get between 75 and 80% of my goals done.  I never pick anything that relies on someone other than myself.  I learned long ago that people for whatever reason, can be terribly unreliable. 
 

The DT 50/LC in Baja

Like the Baja trip for myself and a buddy, and his buddy wanted to do with me one winter.  It was all gung ho for several months preceding but as the scheduled departure time was nearing first the buddy dropped out and on the Friday prior to Monday's departure, my "buddy" found he had other things to do.  This resulted in my changing vehicles from the pick-up truck to the Jeep, which wasn't too bad as I had it rigged to carry a bike on a front rack.  I had often turned down 'offers' to tag along, share expenses and reduce the danger aspect for this simple reason.  This incident was the last time I took anyone seriously about these trips.

I would rather go it alone than have to deal with these posers in any case.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone tell me what they are going to do, and somehow that 'thing' doesn't actually get done.  The trick is to think it, plan it write it down and get determined.  That is the only way the lawn gets cut or you take off to Mulege!

So as the year 2016 counts down the final hours... with Ewen and Charley's Long Way Round playing on the DVD in the background, the year 2017 will begin to unfold very shortly.  With it, I will be once again working on my many Adventures and of course with the odd (Mis) Adventure thrown in!

Happy New year to all... keep on bikin'  Stay safe, and get out there and do it.


No explanation required!  Oranges off my tree...






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment