Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Home is where you hang your helmet!

IT'S hard to believe that I have owned this little peace of tranquility down here in the US of A for almost 9 years now.  Exciting as it was to buy into a dream I'd had for a long time.  I've always had a fascination with the desert and oft times as I was passing by on my way to and from the Baja peninsula I would gaze in the direction of Phx and recall what a thrill is had been basing there in 1998 with the two XT 600's and Deb at her Mom's place in Surprise.



Some people love the terrain of Florida, , okay... others love the Rockies of Colorado, or the barren salt flats of UTAH, others have a hankering to go north, to the Arctic circle.  Fine, each to their own I say.  Me, I always enjoyed the drive from my former home in Calgary to my destination central AZ.

My place is pretty basic, I had few criteria when buying, but top of the list was being in an actual community, where working people lived rather than a gated community that I felt, well kind of trapped in.  I needed a place with 2 or more bedrooms, hopefully a little yard space where I could kick back reading a good book in the morning warmth, someplace I could park a bike or two, someplace I could feel at home.



I looked at over 40 places but this one met most of my criteria and bonus... it was move in ready.

I bought it, then went to Europe and motorcycled for 5 months. 

Two significant things happened upon my return. The first was coming down here in my Blazer with my long time buddy, Tommy G.  I can't mention his last name because he's likely under cover at the moment.

WHILE Tommy holed up in a hotel I slept on an air mattress in my new digs for the very first time!  It felt great.  Very nicely kept park, FIVE huge palms around the pool, and heat.  Yes heat!  While we went about buying a fridge and filling our faces at the Golden Corral, I knew I would love it here.  After a week or so, TG flew back to Canada for $97 taxes in, a happy man. 

The second significant event that fall was meeting Brenda.  I'll never forget seeing her for the first time on my way to my favorite Smitties restaurant.  I remember seeing this woman crossing the parking lot, thinking to myself, "Gosh that young woman is cute..."

Turned at she was also there for breakfast but the place was shuttered, sign gone windows papered over.  We had a chat, a little about Europe, where she has back packed some years before.  To say we hit it off would not be telling a fib!  When I told Tom and Ron and other long time friends some of them even women friends, they all told me I was NUTS.  To even think of changing my bachelor lifestyle, was unthinkable.  Like many things sometimes we just do and many times, that's what I have done.

Boo

So here I am getting ready to head (to my other) home, prepping the place, getting the laundry done, bikes stored, saying goodbyes to several local friends and of course little Boo, my faithful companion the last three years, and will soon be West Jetting northward bound.

Coco


While here I had several adventures, did my shopping and cleaning, visited more this time than any time previously with neighbor Judy, had a few brews (I only drink when in Mexico or here it seems) and ate, for while I am here I like to cook and I think I'm a pretty good cook.  I can whip up a fluffy flapjack or a double egg omelet or pretty much things I don't do much of at home.  The other home...




I love riding my scooter, I love Boo's company, I love the heat, I love the riding.  I love going to the Library and reading nearly every night. I even love doing my Blog!
























Not sure how many more years I can come, but I will try and come as often as I can to explore as long as I can.

So... as I sit and wind down my stay, I am thankful, first to still be alive, grateful for the opportunity to do this.  I have a wife that doesn't tell me what to do with my free time, and I have my health still, after turning 60 a couple of years ago.






















Not sure how many more years I can come, but I will try and come as often as I can to explore as long as I can.

So... as I sit and wind down my stay, I am thankful, first to still be alive, grateful for the opportunity to do this.  I have a wife that doesn't tell me what to do with my free time, and I have my health still, after turning 60 a couple of years ago.






More biking adventure to come... stay with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment