Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 26, 2015

US Thanksgiving.

Dinner

Normally I don't blog about people, preferring to write about places I've visited on one of my bikes, cats, or the occasional soap box rant.  Well this isn't any of those.

I'm in the USA on what I would call this time, a working trip.  It's been shorter than my usual spell but circumstances prior to departure (like the building of a shed) and early winter onset the last two trips and other obligations have denied me doing much riding here this fall.  You won't be reading today about any hazardous to one's health over desert/mountain treks.

Last year at this time I was coming back from Painted Rock, an ancient petroglyph site west of Gila Bend (you can read that story in the recently past September issue of Motorcycle MoJo.)  I met a family on that trip who would come to the site from California and Ohio each TG to visit and catch up.

This TG... in fact all week I have been laying very low from several points of view. There has been an unexpected family medical crisis unfolding back on the Island since the last weekend that is still not resolved.  More information and testing required but the good news, and it is good news, is that for the very short term, things appear to be relatively stable.  A reprieve if you will. 

My wife Brenda has been an absolute soldier dealing with things on the front lines so to speak and I am grateful to have her. I will make it up to her upon return.  It is a difficult time from several aspects for her as well as I.

So here I find myself closeted in my humble little home, taking irregular showers, on Skype with Brenda through-out the day conferring on developments.


Since buying this little townhouse here 7 years ago, I have had the pleasure of good neighbors in particularly a woman next door that has certainly gone beyond the 'being neighborly' stage.  Judy and her two young adult sons, whom I first met as teenagers, have become very good friends.  Jude looks in on my place in my absence, deals with minor local issues and when I am here, she often ends a sentence with "let me know if you need anything?" and guess what... she means it too!  In addition she lets me borrow her WiFi and just if not more cherished, while here I get the loan of Boo... her tiny little female kitty that shows up like clockwork when I arrive and moves right in!

Her privacy is important to me but I want to say that had I written a script for this place and made up a fantasy person(s) that lived next door, I could have been referring to Judy and sons.


As I had mentioned, I have been emotionally exhausted getting little sleep, eating poorly and admit running my batteries down this trip in general terms.  Not a pleasure trip but a hard working trip.  I had contemplated during the year selling, given the distances I have to cover to get here from my east coast home, but one of the reasons I've decided to hang tough for awhile yet is the prospect of losing the best neighbor I've personally ever had.

Judy had graciously invited me over for their family Thanksgiving dinner.  I declined.  I'm not particularly good company at the moment and besides that, I probably stink and not in a good way.  Would you want Pepe le Pew sitting next to your elbow at the dinner table?  I think not.  I'll be hitting the shower tonight if I don't doze off writing this.

My doorbell rings around 4 30 and standing at the door is Jude with two plates of turkey dinner with all the fixin's and various after dinner desserts.  You can't imagine how grateful I am for this gesture, Judy privy to our home problems and being of one thought, very understanding.

Like I said to start with, I don't generally blog about a person... after all you want to hear about my riding not eating, but in this case, this TG and this week... I believe you should know that there are truly great people out there and ofttimes the humblest are the best.


BooBoo guarding her mouse.


Judy, to you and the boys (and the rest of the clan including those that bark and meow) Thank you and thanks for giving.


No comments:

Post a Comment