Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 25, 2014

Exploring the island

One is never far from water on PEI

AFTER weeks of planning/postponing, Mike and I were finally able to get out together yesterday for a short ride on our dual purpose bikes.  They print a small local paper and this has been a trying year getting riding since buying the Super Sherpa a couple of months ago.  You may recall from earlier posts that he had a V Star 650, but just didn't feel comfortable riding that bike on the road dealing with traffic and bozo's.

New Glasgow



My suggestions to sell that and buy something lighter, and more nimble come from seeing students/customers over the years that bought inappropriate machinery and ended up getting out of bikes altogether.

Told you!
                                                                               
Case in point, earlier in the week while finishing a lunch I was approached by a young woman (not in that manner) asking me about my helmet.  I found out she was riding a 150cc scooter but wanted to get something that was capable of longer highway trips, now that she felt able to cope with traffic.  I also have 2 models of 150cc scooters and the top speed of around 100kph/60mph is sufficient for Island riding where the maximum speed limit is 90 kph, but to leave the Island, you will immediately be faced with roads that can be posted 20kph higher.  Realistically my scooters are most comfortable at 80.

Her friends were urging her to ride something larger, perhaps a Sportster or similar?... As we chatted I mentioned to her that I had a friend riding a large displacement (650) scooter and he loved it.  Very practical, simple to operate (unlike a MC) and comfortable like a touring bike.

There is so much stuff available to us isn't there?

Never been here before!

A N Y W A Y... at the first stop sign, Mike mentions to me that he wishes to stay on pavement, while in my head I am thinking,; "hey we're finally out together on lightweight multi purpose motorcycles, we're going to do some sightseeing and that will include back roads which will also include clay roads."  After all, riding on the highway equates to more traffic and that is something he does not like.  The clay roads on the Island (no gravel here it is after all a large sandbar) can be hard as rock when dry and besides... the best ride Mr M had last season was riding my 225 on just such roads.

A perfect place for brookies Trevor, don't you think. 


We stuck to the northern portion of Queen's county, where there are numerous mixed terrain roads and hills.

Quiet clay country lane


Riding a small bore bike requires finesse, unlike a 1200 something or other.  You learn throttle control, braking and handling on small bikes that can later translate to larger machines.  If you are faced with an uphill, you have to pick the appropriate gear and in fact the timing can be critical.

Great food reasonable prices and good service!


On a large bore anything, you just open the throttle farther and the bike has enough torque to compensate.  I have always been a firm believer that one must master the techniques of riding to make riding enjoyable... and safe. I 'm no body building monster at five four and 150 pounds, so for me especially riding bikes that outweigh me several times and some of which I barely have a toenail on the ground with, it's imperative to refine the skills and as you do this and gain experience, you also gain confidence.

Mike had obligations so we parted company in Hunter River, he bee-lined it home and I went exploring, something I have always loved doing even as a kid.

One of many snowmobilers cabins in the woods.


I found roads I had not been on, others that weren't familiar until I came to that 'red barn' or crossroad I remembered from last year.  There are times I don't put a lot of mileage on but I do spend hours in the saddle.

Ahhh a fixer upper!


That's the point of riding isn't it after all?  To explore, learn new stuff, enjoy yourself and sometimes even push the envelope...


Exploring the back roads.





No comments:

Post a Comment