Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Stromming a different tune this morning!



Well I have a new bike in the garage today.  It's a DL 650 Suzuki, otherwise known as the V Strom.  Or to some, the Wee Strom.  (There's a bigger brother)



Sure, the Suzuki marketing people may have had one too many Saki's when they came up with the name, given that absolutely NO one has any idea what it means... perhaps they misplaced the 
O and R, but they are plentiful and versatile.  After consideration for several months now, thinking of this potential XC trip next summer, I have been hunting for something to ride that is more suitable than the 955 RS I traded on the Strom.  I had tears rolling down my cheeks as Mitch pulled away with the Trumpet on the trailer!

When he asked if I was "crying" being the "Man" I am I said, "nahh... it's just the rain..." (sob sob)


The mid sized Suzuki is powered by a V twin (but it's not a cruiser) it's liquid cooled, has a six speed transmission, and a decent detachable luggage system, so I can use the gear for a trip or ride it as a stripper otherwise.

Ever notice that some bikes evoke different emotional responses to us?  The bike I traded did that for me... she was a supermodel a decade ago, drop dead gorgeous sexy with a terrific voice when she was singing.

Unfortunately, she was also too sporty for the 15,000 km I have planned.  The DL doesn't push any emotional buttons for me.  How do I know this?  Well I've had many bikes the same and few that gave you that surge of adrenalin the RSi did.

Nope... the wee strom is bought for a single purpose and after that trip, she will (very likely) be traded in for something light, fun, fast and yep... dare I say, sexy again.

These types of bikes don't often become available and those types of mammoth trips need planning in advance.  I probably could have found one used next spring, but finding one with the gear installed is more difficult, hence the early purchase.

The bike is an '09 model with the same three case Suzuki bags and trunk color matched to the factory paint.  It's a bit tall for me, but pretty much everything I own is.  Having spent a life with taller girlfriends, I've learned to stand on my tip toes on more than one occasions, whether with bikes or women...

It's chain driven, the VX parked next to it is a shaftie, but I will install a new drive chain asap, and with a little attention, it will be fine.  I had planned on riding the VX 800, and may yet choose to do so.  They are surprisingly similar but because this is sorta, kinda billed as a nostalgia tour, the 1992 model 800 would certainly add that flavor.  Not having a fairing for weather protection and having no drag with the meteorological gods, and fully expecting I'm gonna get rained on... having the extra protection as opposed to the fly screen, would be beneficial.




We shall see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment