Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Trailie.


MY Suzuki A 100 street scrambler, introduced me to trail riding.  The little 1968 rotary valve single with the chrome high pipe, was a tiny bike, but then again... I was a skinny little boy of 14.  I'd begun my riding career the year before on a Honda Super 90, that gave me lots of thrills threading thru Edmonton city traffic and was fast enough (barely) for junkets to nearby lakes, but with a horizontal cylinder and low pipe, was in no way suitable for bouncing along some little track.



THE A-100 also had a horizontal cylinder but at least it was inclined steeper and less prone to damage.



SINCE those first foray's off road, I have nearly always had either dirt bikes or dual purpose motorcycles.  There is much to be said about the ability to explore places that 90% of vehicles fear to tread.  I have had many adventure rides in the Rockies, the American southwest and Baja California.  PEI has no crown land, so my dual sport adventures here will only entail back country roads with the occasional ride across the strait.  But of course there is Arizona and the surrounding states.  I doubt that I will ride everything in the vicinity of Phoenix much less the entire state.  I would however love to re-do my Baja trip of 1998, maybe next year, my sixtieth.

MY Mom used to ask (in jest I think) when I was going to outgrow motorcycles, after all... they weren't near as fashionable in the 60's and 70's as they are today. My answer... I hope I never do!

No comments:

Post a Comment