Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Winter.

The season us Canadian motorcyclists attend motorcycle shows (Moncton N.B.) make plans for the new year, go through photographs from the last, and read mags.



Can't do much else during the cold months...

For myself, I have been working on the final large indoor project for the house.  A massive 16x8 foot wall length book case and display stand.  About the only thing left in boxes are some of the huge collection of books I had in Calgary.  Only about half survived the Stalin like "purge" where my entire collection of National Geographics, decades of various moto mags including vintage copies of Cycle, Cycle Guide, Motorcyclist, MXA, and others, encyclopedias, and many more succumbed to the need to pare down the goods for transport.  Had I known ahead of time how things were going to turn out, I would have left some of this stuff behind and made two trips!  As it happened I did the equivalent of that and more and the cost incurred would have easily covered both.

Such is life right...



The winter has been a mixed bag on the Island, as it has for much of North America.  There has been lots of early snowfall, cold temperatures, thaws and high winds.  That has kept me clearing snow, servicing equipment and shoveling.

On top of that I have about a dozen batteries I charge routinely and soon I'll be working on some needed mechanical's for a couple of the bikes.



The VX needs head bearings, the TY a seal replaced, XT's a couple of tires, and maybe I'll even manage a ride on the Polaris.


For 2014, I should have more spare time to enjoy riding and friends.  My plans include at least a couple of street rides off Island and I'm especially looking forward to exploring some back roads and trails on my XT 600 in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.



You'll see lots of photos of luggage laden riding this coming year. 

In addition, I am thinking of using my shaft driven Suzuki VX800 for a cross country ride in 2015.  It would be the fortieth anniversary of my BMW ride on another twin in the other direction.



Living room bookcase, Passport display.




The difference being, I would not be restricted to a work imposed time frame, and I could make stops in Yorkton for a visit with Ed, family in Edmonton area, the Yellowhead to Kamloops for a stay at Ronnie's... and on the return, a side trip to Penticton and Golden to see Dan the Man and finally, a stop over in Calgary to touch base with old friends.

After two years it will be appropriate.



Of course I have my younger daughter's wedding this year in Naramata, and however brief, a stop-over in Cow town. 

In the meantime, we're heading to Moncton N.B. along with several other couples, the girls can do some shopping in the big city and us guys can attend the show.

On the Cabot Trail















No comments:

Post a Comment