Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 17, 2014

D I G I T A L

IT took a very long time for me to give up my SLR 35mm film camera, but yes, I too finally entered the digital age some 15 years ago.  In fact, I still have my very first digital camera... and, it still works.  It's a Logitech, right around .003 megapixel or some such thing, stores 80 images and about 5 seconds of video.





During the good old days (?) you took along 10 rolls of film for your Brownie/110/disc camera/35mm and were very fearful of 'wasting' even one shot.  There were days I'd be traveling, riding my bike or driving or flying and realizing that I'd left the exposed roll of film behind on a rock which I threw into the stream a moment before... or that somehow it was exposed and therefore useless and wasted. 


Okay, I'm jesting, but what it did for me was free me up to point and shoot everything.  I took pictures of mountains, lakes, streams, rocks in streams, minnows under rocks in streams, people throwing rocks at minnows under rocks in streams, people walking in streams to retrieve the rock they just threw realizing at the last nano second that they were certain it had flecks of gold in it.




By the time I'd purchased my Pentax Auto 110 Mini SLR camera, I was used to using a tri-pod or varied lenses to perfect the shot I was looking for.  When I got my first manual 35 SLR, I had (almost) learned patience to get the aperture right or the shutter speed so I could take better photos.  It was time consuming, tricky and occasionally I'd return from Baja or some other place only to realize that, for one reason or other, many of the photos I'd painstakingly taken, were toast.


I have hundreds and hundreds of photos both in and out of albums and my current computer library holds upwards of twenty five thousand images.  That's 25,000 plus!





 Once I'd converted reluctantly to digital, you could shoot everything, a number of times from different angles, in different conditions and you had a reasonably good chance of getting a handful of good photos with the occasional great pic.






Now I'm still nothing more than an amateur photographer, but I have to admit, as they rotate on my screen saver or when I take the time to go through a folder... there are many photos that I look at and say to myself, "that is a great photo."




During the writing of this blog I try to convey a particular point with words but especially with photos.










I have no favorites as such, sometimes there may be a poignant moment with a face or an emotion, or it could be a mountain with an ice cap (not from Tim's) set against a sky blue sky.  Sometimes it's a memory of where I was or how I was feeling when I depressed the button.




After all... a picture is worth a thousand words... right.

No comments:

Post a Comment