Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Rule Number 1

Black Canyon city, the Maggie Mine rd

AFTER two abortive attempts to reach Prescott overland from Phoenix, via Lake Pleasant and the various trails... I thought I would plan a nice easy, relaxing ride.  I was physically tired from the pounding, the pushing, the paddling, and maybe worse... mentally tired from the strain of having to be "on" at all times.

 

Just missed running over this guy!
Readers know that I take every precaution to be prepared and safe.  This isn't about inflating my ego or even that of Dr. N.  This is simply about being a tiny piece of nature and challenging myself. 

Unless you have ridden in back country alone like this or conversely been at the top of a mountain pass or the bottom of a snow covered valley on your snowmobile by yourself, it is hard for city dwellers to understand the total silence and tranquility of such an undertaking. Once out here or there... you are totally on your own.  Just you, your machine and your wits, amid a definately hostile environment.

Steep, rocky and loose.


HA!  Rule number one when your riding along with the Doctor, be prepared!  Easy can turn into something right nasty, real quick.

It's getting late in the season and late in my visit.  Coming once a year, I can already tell, won't be near satisfying enough.  Too many things to do, too many places to explore, not enough time.  Driving down or taking a three hour flight won't be in the cards moving ahead.  That means I have to be strict with my time and make certain I don't waste any of it.

Lots of history here, Google it!


Weather has definitely turned.  Of course it's still great compared to Kamloops or especially Calgary, even the east coast where there are truly 4 seasons, but there is a winter in Arizona too.

Darlene, the Boss and bartender.



More rain (we had 2 inches came down in the valley here a week ago) in fact a quarter of the years supply, cooled things off.  Nighttime lows in the area are down into the 40's and daytime highs of low seventies only last a few hours now.  Because I am not riding a BMW trail bike (chuckle) limits me to gear.  I don't even think the 3 amp battery could spark my electric vest without killing the engine!

Looking SE as I climb to C.K.


So it's kinda restrictive.  I may try coming a couple weeks sooner, especially if I want to try a Baja trip from here again like I did in '98.  If I get up into the mountains, where I do much of my riding, you can expect cold weather, but sunny skies.

Even today, the road claims victims.


A N Y  W A Y... I digress.  Having felt bummed about not being able to bridge that route up to Kirkland Junction, but having the satisfaction of closing up many of the routes I had barely explored years previous since getting this bike, I thought I would take a trip up to Crown King, to revisit my trek from two years previous.  Except this time, I would sneak up the easy route from Phx.

Main st C.K.

North through Peoria to the Carefree highway, where a half mile would put me on New River rd (remember that name)  From there I could do a short 10 mile stint to I 17, droning along like a butterfly in the slow lane at 55MPH, north to Black Canyon City and the start of the Maggie Mine road.

MMRd was supposed to be easy.  Double HA HA!  Ten miles of rough dirt track that is suitable for 4WD, took me North to the Crown King road into Bumblebee.  You can see the interstate much of the route but of course those travelers have NO notion of tackling dirt roads. Me, I search them out like a fielder chasing a fly ball.

Probably the ideal vehicle for these parts.
Once on the C.K. road (state route 259) I climbed up through Bumblebee ranch, to Cleator where I stopped for a photo op or two amidst family SUV's the odd side by side, and some pick ups.  

After riding high into the pine forest along the old rail bed, I found a bustling little village unlike the quiet from my previous visit.  The difference, today I'm here on any Sunday, then it was Monday.

There are lots of four wheel driven vehicles, cars, trucks, Jeeps, ATV's, side by sides, even a few motorcycles.  As I am getting re-acquainted with the gal that remembered me from two years ago (must have been my smile) and buying a sandwich and Coke (always a little treat world wide I travel)
she tells me that heading west to the south Senator highway is asking for trouble.

It is after all December 1st and the clock on the wall tells me it's 1:40 in the afternoon.  Although the crow flying distance is only about 50 miles to Prescott, there is lots of snow and mud on the route.  No one she knows has been through there as of late.  The locals, even the off road guys, know it can be impassable, a term I am familiar with.

Having a Coke.
Xmas decorations!
I thank her and promise to be back again sometime, and head back down the mountain to Cleator.  There is a turn that takes me to Mayer and Dewey from where I can run up the interstate to Prescott, you know... the "easy" way. 

Not lingering in the village this time round, I retrace my steps along a very good quality but bumpy gravel road to the turn off and climb out of the valley and head north.

Cordes Junction (pop 11) comes into view a short ride later, at speeds reaching 45 mph, almost warp speed for a guy that is usually plonking along in low gear with the needle barely budging off it's pin. Here I meet Cathy Cordes, whose family has run this stop-over since stagecoach days.  It's only about an hour to Prescott (you guessed it, the easy way) but if I turn left at Mayer, I say to her and her son and visitor, "what's it like heading up the Pine Flats road to the Senator highway?" I'm told the road to Goodwin should be in good condition but they can't vouch for the Senator...




I thank them and head out armed with a composite photocopy of an area map, that although not particularly detailed, at least show 4WD trails and the general area.  As I often do on such rides, I will make the call en-route, flexibility is key.

Old stage and after, gas stop.

Getting some kisses, been awhile...
Once past the Spring Valley (?) turn off, Mayer comes quickly, on a wide but heavily rutted (this was after all the main drag from Prescott into Phx before I-17 went in) road that doesn't pose any significant challenge, the half dozen or so vehicles I come across, I pass with ease standing on the pegs and throttle opened.

Looks like what I started on!

I miss the turn off to Goodwin.

Of course I am looking for Pine Flats road but in town it is known as South Jefferson street.  In 10 minutes I have left "civilization" behind once again and, once again... I am climbing through the Bradshaw mountain range.

Now...

Remember what I said about rule number one!


No comments:

Post a Comment