Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 9, 2012

Decisions,decisions...


YOU guys have noticed, I haven't been doing much Blogging (geez I still like that word) as of late.  There are many days I simply feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of this task of changing a life here in the West, once again, for one in the East.


This may yet prove to be a bigger decision than the one I made in my twenties, the first time I made just such a move.  Back then I was motivated by different feelings and inputs.  Now, thirty years later, I'm certainly not looking to set the world on fire with my business ideas... nope, I simply want to ride my bikes, cut the lawn, build snow slides for Anna, make love in the afternoon, and generally... relax a bit.


AS with any such move, there are a hundred, no... a thousand decisions that have to be made.  Sometimes my friends, it seems like all of them are being made at once.

UPROOTING an entire life takes foresight, planning and even guts.  I don't go into these things lightly.  Being a Capricorn and not a Sagittarian, means I weigh everything several times over, maybe too many times.


THESE past few days, I have wandered around my yard in the late night warmth, summer heat finally arriving amid thunderheads and hail, wondering if this is the "right" move at the "right" time.  After all, there is nothing inherently wrong with my home, Calgary, the West or my lifestyle.  When I see the Rockies distant on the horizon, clad with snow topped peaks, and take in the vastness that is Western Canada and in turn the USA and even Baja Mexico... I question if I will truly be happy trading it for an Island. 


OF course technically, we are all living on an Island, but one as small as Prince Edward...  can I do it again?

IT'S been brought home to me, as I sell off many of my cherished possessions, that this decision, has affected me in ways until now, I have simply 'glossed' over.  Seeing my Seca roll down the street, my old bike collection whittled down substantially, and my beloved MGB, driven away... by a stranger, well I can tell you guys, I was tearful every time.



ALL of these machines represented something, some time special in my life, made up of thousands of individual experiences.   Those that know me well understand I am an emotional creature of nature.  This isn't the first time I have made such decisions nor will it be the last, but walking around my yard last night around 3 am, after another night of fireworks at C.O.P.* just banged home the realization that in three weeks, we will be on the road leaving this home of mine for the last 17 years, trailing away in my rear view mirror.


NOT that I haven't done it before, but this house, this home... has seen so many emotional changes during that time.  I am leaving behind a sometimes turbulent, but still satisfying life here, for... well an unknown.  Yes I lived on the Island of Prince Edward for a decade, yes I have poured my heart and soul into this new home, yes I have at least one willing accomplice in all this, but still, Calgary and Alberta will always be the place where I grew up.


TIME is getting short now.  Soon all our worldly possessions remaining will be packed in the Cargomate and I will, with a new woman and child... be hitting the Trans Canada Highway for the 12th time.


*COP Canada Olympic Park


No comments:

Post a Comment