Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Just another project...

Faded

Decided I would get back on for a quick Blog update this evening, kind of give you guys an idea of what I do in my spare time, when it's raining cats and dogs and I get tired of all the B.S.

Bits and pieces

 What you see is a 1970 Yamaha DS6B 250cc motorcycle.

Getting to work polishing with Autosol

This was one of the bikes I coveted back in the day, when I was a youngin'.  I remember sitting on the school bus, going to Queen Elizabeth Composite in Edmonton... when a guy came by on one, pulling a wheelie as he passed the bus!

Shocks and forks, polished and painted

Imagine a 15 year old, drool hanging from my lips at the sight.  Could have been Rachel Welch in a bikini, or  Barbara Eden as Genie... couldn't have made a bigger impression on me.

Roll out day!

I had already been riding then for a couple of years, all on small used bikes.  I would soon have my own 250, a Suzuki X6- Hustler, that I cherished, but it wouldn't be until another used bike, this time a 305 Big Bear Scrambler by Yamaha had come and gone, that I would have my first "new" bike.

She's still got great lines

In 1972 I bought... with my own money, a brand spanking new Suzuki T 350 (actually 315cc) Rebel. 

Hard to believe this was corroded and rusted
  Loved that bike too.

Look at that shine!

Back in the day, a 250 cc (15 cubic inches) motorcycle was considered a pretty big bike.  It was nothing to set off to Jasper or beyond on a bike like this, packed with gear, tent and cooking pots.

Left side kicker

The "really big bikes" were untouchable as a teenager.  Harley had two Sportster 900's, a stripper and a tourer (can you imagine touring on a Harley Sportster?!)  The big twins from BSA, Triumph and Norton, Royal Enfield, exotic bikes like those from Italy, were rare.

Lots of world titles with this bike

Alberta Cycle told me in 73, when I bought my BMW 600, they sold about a dozen Beemer's a year in those days, and certainly not to 18 year old 'kids'.

I can almost see myself

This particular Yamaha 250, I bought over 15 years ago. It sat stripped in my garage on the work bench all those years.  Only recently did I devote the time and effort to cleaning it, painting it, and getting things back together. 

Striped

It's not running yet, but has good compression and I suspect, wouldn't take much to get her breathing once again.


Classic lines, they don't make em like this anymore

Not bad looking eh... for a 42 year old motorcycle.

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment