Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 12, 2011

On the TRAIL again...

OUR World keeps shrinking!

Anyone that has ever flown any distance... knows this to be true.  I'm not talking about an endo on a MX bike, I mean travel anywhere.

Holly, my older daughter was here this past week.  One minute she was in South East Africa... and 24 hours later, she was back in Canada.
 (More on that later...)


The day I was riding MacLean Creek Trail, it  was obvious to me that we are being squeezed.

Years ago, when I first moved to Calgary to run the front end of a large MC dealership, I would ride places like the Spray Lakes Trail, Powderface, and MCT.

In anticipation of a move eastward in Canada, I have been making a point of re-doing many of these rides while still having the time.


One of my first published articles was a ride on this very  road way back in the late 90's.

In those days, there was far less use of the area, less traffic of all types and less pressures on the terrain.

Today, it was very warm and dry.  This was a Saturday and a perfect reminder why I preferred to ride these places during the week.

The dust!

Although there were pockets of vehicles, trucks, dirt bikes and ATV's... the occasional camper and plenty of BBQ's, I had plenty of room and time.

I did a little single track, but truthfully, the 600 is not great at these tiny trails.  Lots of bottom end torque, yes... but high in the saddle when many times you need to paddle with your feet, and at over 300 pounds, a bit of a handful!

The Serow would do much better out here.

It only takes about 20minutes to traverse the entire width of MacLean Creek OHV zone, a surprise for me after all these years.

I did play in my favorite creek crossing, splashing about several times, but was turned back by a gate with heavy locks and warning signs on a road I used to travel. 

Vandalism it stated... what a shame... are we really this stupid? 



No comments:

Post a Comment