Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SIGN SIGN... EVERYWHERE A SIGN...




AFTER navigating the length of the upper MacLean Creek Trail OHV area, I reached the T junction at Fisher creek.











GIVEN that the North Fork was now CLOSED to traffic for safety and vandalism reasons?!  I took the only choice available to me and headed south. 

THIS was the third public road I'd passed today, that was now closed to access.







FOR a very brief moment I thought of dialing 297-8800... but thought  "what's the point, those guys would be playing golf on a nice Saturday like this."

NOW how many golf courses have sprung up in and around Calgary over the last decade... lemme see?



THE old road sign was riddled with bullets and shot gun pellets, maybe they have a legitmate complaint those forestry guys...




COUPLE miles further south, as I crested the dusty hill, I left the OHV area and was immediately greeted by signs proclaiming that motorized off road travel was no longer permitted.  I was now in Horse country.

THE Mesa Butte equestrian campground had brand new looking horse stables, well kept grounds with real grass, corrals and nice facilities.






IT also had a large contingent of campers with stock trailers in attendance. 

NOT hard to see where the money was being spent.

RIDING a dual purpose/enduro/dual sport, trail bike made me completely legal in travelling here. As legal as if I were driving my Ford pick up.





I have been stopped in the past by Forestry dudes to check my paperwork, ensuring that "all was in order Mr. Simon."

EVEN today, as I passed riders on horseback, as far to the left/right as possible, in a higher gear than normal, barely whispering through the massive stock 30 pound exhaust system of the Yamaha... I received many an unwelcoming look.








WHAT a shame I thought.

No matter where you go, there will be someone out there that doesn't like or want you...

RACE, religion, hobby you choose, your age or bank account status... it's just a fact of life.

THE terrain was now flattening out as the bulk of the majestic Rockies was 20km to my west.




HERE I was in foothill country and shortly, I would leave even this behind.

AT Gorge Creek trail entrance I came upon this sign, yet another road closure ahead.

THIS was sure getting old...
I took the right fork, rode over the old bridge, horse campers on either side of the trail, feeling like a million eyeballs were upon me.



THIS used to be such a wonderful day loop ride. 

NOW I felt plagued by suspicion and unwanted.

"SIGN SIGN everywhere a sign"... as the song goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment