Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Route 66

Trading Post in Bragg Creek

Go West young man!

MacLean Creek camper's store

For those of you that are not aware of this fact... Alberta (google Wikipedia info) is a totally landlocked province established officially in 1905.  It used to be the Wild West and if you believe the promoters of the self proclaimed "Greatest outdoor Show on Earth"... still is.

The annual Calgary Stampede (taking place as I write this ) celebrates the Cowboy heritage of this rather large CDN province of nearly 4 million people.  A million visitors a year, land at the Corral grounds for 10 days of "hootin' and hollerin'."  We even had the newlywed Royals, Will and Kate, stop by for a visit this week to kick off the festivities.

Beginning of the MacLean Creek trail

Although I myself have attended the GSonE several times over my lifetime, I typically avoid the hawkers, gawkers, crowds, bad (overpriced) hot dogs and teeth rotting candy floss.  I'd rather go biking.


Dented!?  Suzuki.

Today I find myself on the Rte 66 portion of the Cowboy Trail headed thru B.C. and into the Rockies.  I'm thinking of riding the MacLean Creek trail, a nearby off road public road, where dirt bikes are not allowed, but dualies like me can satisfy the Forestry guys every time.

hard to imagine...

The sleepy giant at the information booth just inside Kananaski's Country tells me  the Sheep River/Gorge Creek Trail is permanently closed, due to very poor road conditions.  When I quiz him why, he tells me in an almost snarky but matter of fact way, 
'the province would rather build hospitals than fix a back country road that only some appreciate.'

at least the spare is good!

While picking up some health food (Old Dutch kettle crunch potato chips) at the MC camper's store, I notice a Suzuki 4X4 sitting at the junction to MacLean Creek Trail. 

To say it is damaged, is akin to telling someone that the Titanic hit an oversized ice cube!

Elbow river

This little, once pretty mini SUV is trashed.  It's obvious to me that someone has seriously off-roaded it!

the picture tells it all...

In any case, while pondering the situation as to what calamity/stupidity may have caused this body damage... I change my mind as I often do, and decide to ride the pavement to it's terminus at the end of 66.


After a brief stop over at Allen Bill Pond, for a snack and a couple of photos, a quick pet of a very affectionate pooch, and some shedding of gear as the temperature climbed, I was on my way west...

Rte 66 to Elbow Falls

You are in the Rockies here, and the scenery is appropriately drop dead gorgeous.  As I ride my thumper deeper into the hills, I can't help but wonder how I will miss the west once I've moved back down east.  I try to convince myself that the Maritimes have just as beautiful, if much different scenery.

The Dr... grabbing some shade on a 29C day

nevertheless... I will miss very much my Alberta home, where I have spent most of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment