Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Rockies!


Okay, so our Route 66 may not cross the continent like theirs did, but ya gotta admit... it is drop dead spectacular gorgeous.

Closed for the winter season, time is limited when travelling this way.  I have ridden the Powderface Trail, which begins once the pavement stops, on wheels in the summer and track during the winter, when it is open to snowmobiles. There is something incredibly peaceful being back there in February, when the facilities are absent of people.

Trout lover's paradise.

No winter today though.  Today I was sitting tall in the saddle of a two wheeled Yamaha, my 21 year old SOHC venerable 595cc XT, Big Blue.  Tall is actually correct as the seat leaves me tip toeing at traffic lights.

All downhill from here?

Off road is never a problem, there is always a rut or rock or tree root or endangered turtle* to place a foot down.  In the (very) old days, as bike suspension grew, I found myself racing a YZ400 open class Moto-crosser.  I would trench out my spot on the starting line, digging a few inches deep and carefully building up the "berm" so's I could get a foot down.  I'm no taller today, maybe even shorter after that '02 rear end collision!

A rider's favorite road sign.

I'd picked a beautiful day!


To say that spring was a bit wet and summer slow coming, was like telling your Mom you'd be home at 11 on your 16th birthday.  A bit misleading...

Elbow River valley looking west.

By noon I was shedding a layer of clothing, taking my camera for a walk to Forgetmenot pond.  Crystal water so clear it would rival a jar of moonshine, trout hopping for insects, few people to spoil the view and tranquility.  Of course there was that idiot on his Harley, open pipes, shorty helmet, good looking young blonde perched on the "Bitch Pad".  I just can't understand these guys.  Their obvious need to be the center of attention,  pissing people off left and right, including a long time motorcyclist like myself. 



Is there a prettier place?

The Bear warning sign a reminder that I was now in the official Wilderness...

No kidding Sherlock!

The heat was most welcome, once on the Powderface, I'd be running in shadow much of the time and unless temperatures were above 20C... it could be cool at times.  Not a problem today as I would see a high of 29 on my travelling thermometer attached to my Baja MUV**

Deep subject.

Being a deep subject, I pondered my ride, a thousand memories flooding thru my mind.  I had ridden this route perhaps a hundred times in my sixteen years in Calgary, sometimes with groups during my Magical History Tour*** days while in the "Biz"... most often as today, by myself.  It's a very easy 200km loop from my NW Calgary Silver Springs home.  Typically takes about 4 hrs, I like to sightsee and photograph often.

You are here... soon to be there!

In days of old, there would be the setting of film, the careful plotting of the lens opening, the film speed, attention paid to lighting condition.  Almost romantic in fact.

Now you just point and shoot two hundred photos.  Not much romance there.

* just kidding, don't send me angry letters.  I love critters honest
** Self designed Baja Multi Use Vest
*** I'd developed a whole series of Day rides during my career in the MC biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment