Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Serow on the KVR


That's not... 'sorrow'
Serow is Tibetan for Mountain Goat, or some such thing, if I remember from Yamaha's original literature describing the XT 225!
In fact... still visible albeit somewhat scratched from years of Baja, the Mojave and Rockies, it says 'Mountain Trail' right on the sidecovers.
An apt description as it turns out. You know, sometimes the brochure advertising really (and I do mean Really) is a misnomer. Calling an LS 650 a Savage... or an Indian Enfield 500 a "Bullet" or even a Big Kawa V twin a Mean Streak... ya gotta wonder sometimes. I mean a '72 H2 had a mean streak... why didn't they use it then. When I first rode one of those, I remember being scared near outa my pants, while laughing so hard, I almost peed them. Now there was a Mean Streak if I'd ever ridden one. The slightest twist of the loud handle and the thing wanted to loop you over backwards and mash you into the pavement! Yikes!!!









Anyway... I digress.
Here I am on the KVR riding my little mountain goat Serow. It's the middle of July, we have seen one of the wettest years in Western Canadian history and riding opportunities have been few and far between. I'm looking forward to the days when I don't have to work, when I can ride my bikes whenever I want to, wherever I want.



There are many advantages to a lightweight bike, be it on the street a racetrack or trail. This is no exception. I have several dualies to choose from when I go riding. I have my old DT 50W that I rode through the back country in BC in the fire (now that was a Mean Streak) season of '03. I have my little Doctor DR200 at my place in Glendale, my garage contains two identical XT 225's and one XT600. I even have an old Trail 90 that will eventually get back on the road, ummm... trail.


This time around I chose the Serow for a number of reasons. Equipped with a 6 speed transmission, it's fast enough to carry me at 100kph, slow enough to putter along the tight trails (yes I got lost a couple of times) has decent suspension, great fuel mileage averaging 80-100 MPG, and is low enough to the ground that I can't really hurt myself when I fall over. (Yes... I did fracture my ankle on a Baja mountainside...)



A great choice for the KVR!







I had ridden several sections of the abandoned southern BC railbed several times over the years. Not all of the trail is open to motorized traffic. There are Mtn bikers, hikers, deer, squirrels, ATV users and kids walking their dogs. Common sense warrants keeping your speed in check (ltd to 30 kph) and respecting other trail users. Besides, smacking a Bambi at 80 KPH is guaranteed to ruin both your days! BC is still Kilometers ahead of us Albertans in OHV trail use, not having near the restrictions that we have in our province. Check before you ride.
The KVR is actually a conglomeration of tight twisting rail lines that serviced much of the Okanagan and Southern BC early in the 20th century. In fact between rail and stern wheelers such as the SS Sicamous and Moyie, now permanantly on display in Penticton and Kaslo, short of having a Mule named Number 7 and hiking it through the back country, they were pretty much the only 'civilized' means of transporting material, people and news in those days of gold and silver.




From Spence's Bridge to Hope, Castlegar to Osoyoos, and places in between, this little railine and it's steam powered locomotives serviced faithfully, the multitude of tiny settlements for many years.



Google the KVR and you'll be surprised.



Someday yet I will ride as much of the trail as I can. Perhaps in the company of other enthusiasts.
Any takers.......?








No comments:

Post a Comment