Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 31, 2010

KVR Continued...


I rode only a tiny portion of the abandoned railbed this time around... family obligations and time constraints precluded any multi day trips. No matter, it's always calming and peaceful if not totally relaxing. Like Baja travel, mistakes can be costly here, you may not see another soul all day once away from the populated centers. On one mistaken detour just outside the Adra tunnel, I rode what I believed to be the bypass, only to get into thick mud, deep ravines and fading sunlight. I am not certain where I was headed, although there were several painted arrows and hanging colored surveyors ribbons along the ATV tired track, but after 4 km and a particularly nasty looking downhill creekcrossing and several hundred meters of muddy ruts, I decided to turn back.



Eventually I found the actual tunnel bypass and made good time after that detour.




Many years ago I recieved an excellent book on 'Cycling the KVR' by Dan and Sandra Langford. Of course the book is designed for cyclists of the pedalling variety, but does offer extensive information on the track itself. If you want to try this, pick up the book and carry it with you...





The temperature during my week in the Naramata area was quite warm thru the days. The railine climbs high above Okanagan Lake in shaded coolness and offers spectacular views of the opposing mountains and the lake below.


Chute Lake Resort provided a view of life in the Okanagan in the fifties. Even the campground and boat docks and boats themselves, looked like something from an early Chevy Chase movie...










During the 34C heat late day, Adra tunnel especially, provided a cool haven... sitting on the concrete blockade staring into the depths, imagining what it must have been like a hundred years ago, the little steam locomotive that could, winding it's way across the wilderness.
















Since my last report... I have had an interested party, expressing interest in riding the Kettle Valley Railway. We shall see, maybe there is yet another of the Doctors's "Magical History Tours" in the offing...








1 comment:

  1. looks great. Have posted a link in facebook group Yamaha Serow XT225 XT250 https://www.facebook.com/groups/35222039069/ I hope you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete