Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 29, 2009

Toscana!!!
Well... here I was. Under that fabled Tuscan sun. It was Spring 2009, Kis Piroska was more beautiful than ever, and together, we were sweeping around one gentle bend after another after another. This was much different than the mountains roads I had been on. Four days of riding more dangerous curves than Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida combined, had exhausted me mentally and physically... but in a good way.

Here, we had a chance to step down a notch or two together, doing what we are best at doing. Relaxing, working together in Harmony as a unit. Man and machine. There were so many photo ops, I had to disciple myself to picking only a few... well a few hundred!
















This is what we were both here for, what in effect we were both built for. Neither of us is the 'newest model' That didnt make a damn bit of difference only to those hung up on such things... and we're not talking strictly bikes here.


Sixth gear sweepers, 60-100 kph or so, the odd downshift. No need for heroic 'hanging off', just shove the knee out and bend her in, repeat over and over again.








I passed through Pistoia, then Empoli. One small village after another came and went under the cast wheels of Little Red. I was in the very heart of the Province. I was in Diane Lane's Tuscany!






Now... it was MY Tuscany and I was having my own romance. That of the road.



There is an almost Magical allure to this Toscana of rolling hills, gentle curves, vinyards and stone buildings. What can you say about a place that has been portrayed on film and page a hundred times?









I can tell you from the seat of my Divvie, that no matter what you have seen or heard... nothing does it justice.





I could take a million photos and I couldn't begin to describe the feelings that each bend or vista brought forth. I was so delighted that my voice became hoarse from singing and whooping in the stereo confines of my Zues helmet.

Tuscany is one of those rare places on Earth, you just have to see to believe.

San Gimignano was a fabulous rest stop. I wandered the old walled city for several hours stopping for photos, a conversation or a Coke. Even though it was a small detour, it was worth every km in smiles!















I missed Siena, don't ask me how. I followed the signs, I thought, but like so many times... one wrong turn and I was off towards my next mysterious destination. One roundabout too many and the route signs began pointing backwards. I pulled off, looked at my GPS (map!) and realized that somehow I was 60 km passed the city. Now what? Go back or forward?

I chose forward, as in life I rarely go back only ahead.
The people closest to me will vouch for that...
As in life It was a good choice, the roads got narrower, the pavement better, the scenery even sweeter. Intoxicating, riding Lil Red, my heart pounded. My pulse raced, it was almost unbelievable. Those of you the closest to me will know. (wink wink)
Honest gang... you really would have to see it, feel it.




I saw a sign...


Well not exactly from heaven but a definate sign nonetheless. Now I knew my destination, could I reach it before that fabled sun set for the day?








Stay tuned...


















1 comment: