Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 25, 2009

ITALIA!!!























Well Gang... I have covered nearly 3000 km of "drop dead gorgeous, to die for, stunning, spectacular, breathtaking, amazing, incredible, unbelievable, stupendous, outrageous, stunning (oh right, I already said that) indescribeable beauty and magnificence that Mother Earth has to offer. It never ceases to amaze me when I do this, that this little blue planet, 3rd from the sun offers us mere mortals such vibrancy and life and emotions if we just allow it to take place and count ourselves "IN"

I overnighted in Hungary amid wet skys and cool temperatures that first day on the road. The Sport Panzio crew recognized me from last year's visit and wanted to know all about what was happenning in the world.


From there on it was on to Croatia and and hour later, Slovenia. A beautiful and interesting country of just 2 millon people! Under threatening skies on a mountain road, I found my second stop in a peaceful little village, just before the heavens opened up and soaked the bike completely! 20 E bought me a dry room, great shower, the local meal at dinner and breakfast which I shared with a couple driving from just outside Toulouse France. As it turned out, she was Hungarian descent so with her translation we were able to communicate.



I rode in warming temperatures and brigtening skies, into Italia at Gorizia, onwards thru Udine (pro: like Houdini with a silent 'H') My route of back roads and small villages and towns was much slower but far more interesting than the 'autostradas'.


Piroska and her dutiful passenger/pilot turned right at Vicenza, leaving the plains behind and climbing into the Dolomites. The roads became steeper, narrower, cooler and much more exciting. It was Saturday and every sports bike

with sticky tires in Northern Italy seemed to be on that road. My new tires were working very well but I wasnt about to take the chances these pilots were. In Italy... every sport bike rider "thinks" they are Valentino (Rossi) current MotoGP World champion riding Yamaha.

The ride down Lago de Garda was similar to the Okanagan but with millions of scooters and moto's of every description. What could be more Italian than villages lined with Espresso drinkers at streetside cafes watching posse's of brightly clad cyclists doing their version of the Tour de Italia, competing with sports cars from classic Triumphs and MGB's right thru the latest Porsches and Ferrari's (yes gaggles of Ferraris!) Sharing the road with Piaggios Apes crammed with produce, hordes of Ducatis, and with topless young (and not so young!) women soaking up the atmosphere.




Verona, Modena (home of Ferrari) and Bologna (home to Ducati) pass beneath the wheels of my Divvie as I ride the Sunday into the mountains North of Pistoia. I am shocked and amazed at how fluidly lines of traffic are passed in great leaps by riders, whether on blind curves or oncoming traffic or both.



It's getting near 6 pm, my last window for settling for the evening. My stomach growls like Piroska's Italian made pipes and I pull off to have a (groan) Coke and survey the map. I find a beautiful sunflower yellow Desmo 250 RT at the cafe! Now I love and appreciate the latest in hardware, but these old bikes to me are the epitome and essence of what motorcycles are. This Georgeous Duc is simple, light and elegant... and purposeful.

An Italian work of art to me!

I can't find the owner, he's likely one of 2 dozen men inside the cafe watching their favorite 'football' team playing on the big screen TV.

San Momme is a village of 150 just 20km from Pistoia and within day trip distance of Pisa and Lucca. It becomes my 'home' (remember Holly, home is where you hang your helmet) for 3 days while I take a bit of down time with side trips to the world famous Torre of Pisa and the Medival walled city of Lucca. I am finding the 300km days to be exhausting me mentally and physically. One entire day is spent with Piroska under the cover and me, feet propped up, sitting on my balcony, reading a crime novel.



The tennis courts beckon...makes me wish I had my svelte and fit tennis partner to "play with for the day" :)


Pisa is truly amazing. That first glimpse of the tower stuns me! How in the Hell has it not toppled over is beyond me... you have to see it to believe it. Trust me... photos do NOT do it justice! Lucca turns out to be a hidden mountain jewel. I was lost about a thousand times in finding it via the back roads. Worth the effort.







































Deeper into the Heart of Tuscany we ride.





I find another leaning tower... all right, granted... perhaps not as ancient nor as impressive... but it nevertheless impressed in it's stark simplicity, classic yet functional lines. The Italians sure can even the most basic structure truly into a work of art...



Stayed tuned...much more to follow...



Dr N.

No comments:

Post a Comment